About an hour before game-time, Ben Simmons spoke to the media for the first time in more than a month to give an update on the nerve impingement in his lower left back. No longer would his agent, Bernie Lee, nor his head coach, Jacque Vaughn talk about his health. This time, it came straight from the horse’s mouth.
Simmons didn’t offer a ton of specifics, repeating that he’s coming to the gym “every day” to work on his rehab. However, the Aussie did say that in the six games he played prior to the injury, he felt like he was approaching his former, All-Star self.
Simmons called this setback “probably one of the most frustrating points in my career ,just because I wanna be out there and help my team win and compete. But at the end of the day, it’s one of those things that’s a part of sports. Not every game is promised, injuries happen.”
Now in his second full season in Brooklyn, the point-forward was surprised by the severity of what was initially called a hip issue.
“I kept playing through it, honestly. It was the next day that it kinda locked me up. So I wasn’t too sure about it in the moment. Coach kind of looked at me and said, ‘You good?’ And I said yeah. I just kept playing, played through it, and then it was the next day feeling it. But everyone has been supportive. Coaches have been great, team has been great, and training staff.”
So, what can we expect from the next medical update on Simmons, who’s still just doing individual work to strengthen his back? Not much
“No expectations. I just come in here everyday to work, you know? I think that’s one of the things about having injuries like this. I’ve known not to put too much pressure on the exact date or whatever it is. It’s just continuing to get better and get to a point where you can play.”
And now, the waiting game continues.
- Ben Simmons gives an injury update (Video) - Meghan Triplett - YES Network
- Simmons says back improving, but too early to target Nets return - Tim Bontemps - ESPN
- Ben Simmons ‘doing well’ but still has no timetable for Nets return: ‘No expectations’ - Peter Botte - New York Post
- Ben Simmons breaks silence on injury: ‘Not every game is promised. Injuries happen ($) - C.J. Holmes - New York Daily News
- Health update on Nets’ Ben Simmons: Wait till next year ($) - Evan Barnes - Newsday
- Nets’ Ben Simmons reveals expectations for return amid extended injury absence - Erik Slater - Clutch Points