At the end of the day, there’s just so many spots on an NBA roster. And when a team is aiming for a championship, there are fewer still for younger players.
That’s Reggie Perry’s situation after the Nets rescinded his $1.49 million qualifying offer on Thursday, moving him from a restricted free agent to unrestricted. The Nets presumably still retain his draft rights, but his future is cloudy.
Brian Lewis writes Saturday that the 6’9” Perry is still with the Nets Summer League entry, but no one on the Nets wants to talk, at least publicly, about what happens next. The Nets didn’t make Perry, drafted at No. 57, available, and Jordan Ott, the summer league head coach, deferred questions to Sean Marks and Steve Nash who are not in Las Vegas.
“We just want to leave that to Sean [Marks, GM] and Steve [Nash, coach],” Ott told The Post. “I’ll say this: He is here, he’s practicing. He’s a Brooklyn Net. He’s part of our Summer League team. We coached him just like any other person on our team. We came here to get better. He got better [Saturday]. We all got better. We’re going to continue to coach him every day. That’s what we’re all signed up to do. He’s a Brooklyn Net right now, and we’ll continue to coach him.”
Perry’s chances have been hurt by some spotty performances. While he’s second on the Nets in rebounding (8.5), steals and blocks, and fourth in scoring (9.5 points), he’s shot just 28.6 percent overall and 16.7 percent from 3-point range.
The Nets do have options with Perry but he’d have to agree to them. He could return to the G League as a two-way player where he’d get a salary of about a half million dollars. The Nets sent him to Long Island last year and he played well, averaging 18.1 points, 8.9 rebounds and 2.9 assists with 52/32/77 shooting splits in the “bubble.” He could also be signed directly to the Long Island roster, but at a much reduced number.
The Nets already have 15 players signed to standard NBA deals, one of whom, Alize Johnson, will be non-guaranteed till September 4, while another, DeAndre’ Bembry, is partially guaranteed through December 15. They do have two two-ways available, but competition for those spots could be tough as well. Both the No. 44 pick, Kessler Edwards, and undrafted camp invite David Duke Jr. have looked good in Las Vegas with Duke starting all three Summer League contests. And who knows what else the front office is working on?
“We’ll be fluid. We could potentially keep a roster spot open,” Marks said Tuesday.
Of course, Brooklyn could simply waive Perry, giving him a chance to snag a job somewhere else in the League but there aren’t a lot of roster spots anywhere.
- Reggie Perry is still a Net — for now - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Quinndary Weatherspoon’s past with Spurs may pay off with Nets - Brian Lewis - New York Post