Kevin Durant will have his return to play interrupted by league regulations on COVID-19. As first reported by Shams Charania, KD is expected to miss seven days to quarantine, starting with the Jazz game Tuesday and continuing through games with the 76ers, Grizzlies and Thunder.
Shams Charania had the news first.
The rules apply to all players even those — like Durant last spring — who tested positive for COVID-19.
This is part of NBA's return-to-play process and protocol amid the coronavirus pandemic -- with certain people (players, coaches, staffers) quarantining for seven days when exposed. Durant set to be sidelined the next seven days. https://t.co/z05GLC1ZXw— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) January 4, 2021
Adrian Wojnarowski further explained the league rationale.
Kevin Durant's facing a 7-day quarantine under league protocols because of exposure to a positive COVID-19 case, sources tell ESPN. He had the coronavirus in May, continues to register antibodies and has tested negative in multiple recents tests. He'd miss 4 games in next week. https://t.co/HFHFKHolte— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) January 4, 2021
Players can have family members and those living in close contact regularly tested, and once someone tests positive for the virus, the player's placed in quarantine. Durant's passed three tests, sources say, but rules don't distinguish between those who've had virus and have not.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) January 4, 2021
At least six Nets players have tested positive, either in the spring or summer. In addition to KD, Spencer Dinwiddie, Taurean Prince, DeAndre Jordan and Landry Chamet contracted the virus along with one other, unnamed player.
- Sources: Kevin Durant facing 7-day quarantine due to COVID-19 exposure - Malika Andrews & Adrian Wojnarowski - ESPN
- What Kevin Durant’s week-long quarantine means for the Nets - Alex Schiffer - The Athletic New York
- Seven Nets predictions for 2021: Kevin Durant wins MVP and more - Alex Schiffer - The Athletic New York
- Kevin Durant Faces 7-Day Quarantine, Expected To Miss 4 Games: Report - Adam Zagoria - Forbes Sports Money
- Nets’ Kevin Durant to miss a week because of COVID-19 exposure - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Nets star Kevin Durant will miss at least one game because of COVID-19 protocols - Greg Logan - Newsday
- Kevin Durant ruled out for Nets game; in NBA COVID-19 health and safety protocol - Kristian Winfield - New York Daily News
- Kevin Durant to miss at least next four games due to quarantine after contract tracing: report - Ryan Morik - SNY