In a shocking development, the Nets have disclosed that four players have tested positive for coronavirus. Of the four, only one is exhibiting symptoms. The Nets did not disclose the names of the players but Kevin Durant told Shams Charania he’s one of those who is asymptomatic. He said he feels fine.
Here’s the team statement...
Here’s Shams tweet...
Durant has not had symptoms and was among four positive test results on the Nets. The two-time NBA Finals MVP's message is one for everyone to heed: Stay quarantined. https://t.co/7E58fcyFjm— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) March 17, 2020
As Woj notes, the testing took place over the weekend and was done with test kits acquired from a private company, not from the public supply...
Sources: Brooklyn tested the team upon returning from San Francisco and results came back today. Nets paid out of pocket to a private company to conduct tests. One player awoke with some aches today; rest have experienced no symptoms.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) March 17, 2020
Although Woj noted that the Nets had used a private company to acquire and conduct the tests, New York mayor Bill DeBlasio criticized the team.
The mayor of New York weighs in after four Nets players test positive for COVID-19: “Tests should not be for the wealthy, but for the sick.” https://t.co/lMndECpJlZ— Malika Andrews (@malika_andrews) March 17, 2020
Later Tuesday, the Lakers issued their own statement noting the Nets situation and intimating that they too would undergo testing. The Nets last game was a week ago vs. L.A.
Prior to the Nets announcement, three NBA players — Rudy Gobert, Donovan Mitchell and Christian Wood— had tested positive.
Further details as they become available.
- Four Brooklyn Nets players test positive for coronavirus, team announces - Kristian Winfield - New York Daily News
- Rash of NBA players with coronavirus underscores the disease’s scary silence - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Four Nets players test positive for coronavirus - Peter Botte - New York Post
- Kevin Durant, three other Nets players test positive for COVID-19 virus - Alex Schiffer - The Athletic New York
- Report: KD among 4 Nets to test positive for coronavirus - Greg Logan - Newsday
- Durant among 4 Nets to test positive for new coronavirus - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Kevin Durant, three other Nets players test positive for coronavirus - Danny Abriano - SNY
- Four Nets Players Test Positive for Coronavirus - Jenna West - Sports Illustrated
- Four Nets players test positive for coronavirus - ESPN
- Coronavirus updates: Kevin Durant among four Nets players to test positive for COVID-19 - Austin Anderson - Sporting News
- Kevin Durant Among Four Brooklyn Nets To Test Positive For Coronavirus - Adam Zagoria - Forbes Sports