On Monday the NBPA announced that Kyrie Irving has been elected Vice President on the Executive Committee. Irving, who will replace Pau Gasol, has served as the Nets’ representative on the NBPA since the start of the 2019-20 season.
He will begin his 3-year term as Vice President starting immediately.
In a press release shared by the NBPA, Irving said:
“This was the right time for me to run for a leadership position in the NBPA,” said Irving. “I have been an observer and a participant in union affairs for a while, but for the most part, I was off on the sidelines, supporting our Executive Committee as they made important decisions. At this point in my career, I wanted to join forces with those guys and take a bigger role outside of the basketball court and within our union. I want to help move the union forward with innovative ideas, not only on social issues but also with business ventures into a new space. I am honored to be elected by my peers and I cannot wait to work with everybody to make an impact.”
And in a tweet, the NBPA welcomed him...
Irving joins teammate Garrett Temple, who also serves as Vice President on the executive committee.
Chris Paul of the Oklahoma City Thunder serves as the President of the NBPA, with the entire executive committee consisting of:
.@NBPA Exec. Committee— Billy Reinhardt (@BillyReinhardt) February 17, 2020
President: Chris Paul
1st VP: Andre Iguodala
VP: Kyrie Irving
VP: Garrett Temple
VP: Malcolm Brogdan
VP: CJ McCollum
VP: Jaylen Brown
VP: Bismack Biyombo
Secretary/Treasurer: Anthony Tolliver
Some of the most intelligent & articulate players in the NBA.
These positions are voted on by the players during the 2020 NBPA winter meetings. Irving will serve on the executive committee during the next CBA negotiations, while Temple’s term comes up in June 2020.
- KYRIE IRVING ELECTED TO NBPA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE AS VICE PRESIDENT - NBPA
- Nets’ Kyrie Irving voted vice president of players’ union - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Kyrie Irving is the newest VP of the NBA players’ union - Kristian Winfield - New York Daily News
- Kyrie Irving replaces Pau Gasol as a VP of players’ union - ESPN
- Nets’ Kyrie Irving elected vice president of National Basketball Players Association - Corey Hersch - SNY
- Kyrie Irving elected to NBPA Executive Committee as Vice President - NBA.com
- Kyrie Irving elected as newest vice president of NBPA Executive Committee, replacing Pau Gasol - Sam Quinn - CBS Sports
- Kyrie Irving Elected as NBPA Vice President to Replace Pau Gasol - Rob Goldberg - Bleacher Report