As it turns out, the three deals the Nets made this week —acquiring Bruce Brown Jr., Landry Shamet and Reggie Perry— were part of one big three-way deal involving the Nets, Pistons and Clippers. The only thing new for Nets fans in the official announcement, made Thursday night, is that Brooklyn sent the draft rights to their 2019 second rounder, Jaylen Hands, to Detroit in the deal.
The trade is one of the biggest in Nets history in that it ultimately involved three teams, six players, draft rights to four players and five future picks divided up among the three teams. There were also cash considerations.
Here’s the details, from the Nets, making the trade official...
The Nets didn’t receive anything beyond what has already been reported: the 6’4” shooting guards Brown from Detroit and Shamet from the Clippers, as well as the draft rights to Perry, a 6’10” big from Mississippi State. In return, the Nets sent out Musa, the rights to Hands, who played last season for Long Island, the rights to Bey and the 2021 Raptors second rounder.
In trade grades handed out by four media outlets, Nets got two A’s and two B’s.
The final configuration also proved more lucrative for the Clippers than previously reported. The Pistons had to give up four second rounders. The Clips sent a reported $1.5 million in cash considerations to the Pistons.
In the Clippers version of the trade release, GM Lawrence Frank bid farewell to Shamet... and McGruder.
“Landry [Shamet] is a terrific player who made some big shots for the Pistons and will make a lot more in his NBA career. Rodney [McGruder] is a true professional who elevated our team. We wish Landry the best of luck in Brooklyn, and Rodney in Detroit.”
With the departure of Hands, a 6’3” UCLA product taken 56th in the 2019 Draft, the Nets now have five stashes all playing in Europe.
- BROOKLYN NETS ACQUIRE LANDRY SHAMET, BRUCE BROWN AND THE DRAFT RIGHTS TO REGGIE PERRY IN THREE-TEAM TRADE - Brooklyn Nets
- LANDRY SHAMET, BRUCE BROWN TO BROOKLYN NETS IN DRAFT DEAL - Tom Dowd - Brooklyn Nets
- Nets-Clippers-Pistons trade grades: Who wins the Landry Shamet-Luke Kennard three-team deal? - Kevin Pelton - ESPN
- Trade grades: Clippers acquire Luke Kennard from Pistons, send Landry Shamet to Nets in three-team deal - Sam Quinn & Michael Kaskey-Blomain - CBS Sports
- Luke Kennard, Landry Shamet part of Nets, Clippers, Pistons deal: Trade Grades - Zach Harper - The Athletic NBA
- NBA Trade Grades: Nets land Landry Shamet, with Luke Kennard to the Clippers - Ian Levy -
- Nets stockpiling assets; could that help set up a Harden trade? - Greg Logan - Newsday