Rodions Kurucs will be back in court for his fourth pretrial hearing on February 11 after the prosecution finally provided his defense team with their evidence in the Nets forward’s domestic abuse case.
Alex Spiro, Kurucs defense counsel, told the Brooklyn Criminal Court judge that he’d received a “significant amount” of materials from the District Attorney’s office after 5 p.m. on Tuesday and he hadn’t had time to review it.
The defense is likely to seek a dismissal of the case at the next court date.
The prosecutor had a Tuesday deadline to turn over his evidence. Neither side discussed what was in the filing but Spiro told the judge that he’d been previously informed the evidence does not include recordings of 911 calls associated with the incident. Nor are there any associated photos or testimony from witnesses, he said.
Kurucs is accused of choking his girlfriend during an argument this past June in the couple’s Brooklyn apartment. He is charged with third-degree assault, criminal obstruction of breathing, second-degree harassment, attempted assault and third-degree menacing. His alleged victim didn’t come forward until September at which time the Latvian was arrested and arraigned.
The NBA has a separate investigation but it’s not known if the same evidence has been sent to the league offices.
Kurucs, who played in Tuesday’s overtime loss at Barclays Center, appeared in Brooklyn Criminal Court in a blue plaid suit.
- Prosecutors turn over evidence against Nets’ Rodions Kurucs in domestic violence case - Andrew Denney - New York Post