The debate on D’Angelo Russell has moved from ‘should the Nets re-sign him’ to ‘what will it take for the Nets to re-sign him.’ He’s evolved along with the Nets; from a productive player on a bad team to a highly impactful player on a playoff team. And as Russell’s play and profile has risen, his appeal to other teams has as well. What I worked to do in our latest Glue Guys episode is figure out what Russell’s next contract will look like.
What I did was I looked at two things: comparable players to Russell and the most recent deal they signed plus which teams will have cap space. Here are my basic notes I was working off of for reference. Some of the figures may be slightly off but they are mostly right.
D’ANGELO RUSSELL’S KEY STATS AND FIGURES:
- 20.5 PTS | 6.7 APG | 3.8 RPG | 37% FROM 3
- CAP HOLD FOR 2019: 21 MILLION
- MAX: 5 year for 158 million
- 19-20: $27.25 million
- 20-21: $29 million
- 21-22: $30.45 million
- 22-23: $32 million
- 23-24: $33.6 million
COMPARABLE DEALS (NON MAX YOUNG GUARDS AND WINGS)
- Victor Oladipo: 4 year 84 million extension (21 a year). Signed at age 24. Averages year he signed: 16 PTS , 4 APG, 4 RPG
- Aaron Gordon: 4 year 80 million re-sign (20 a year). Signed at age 22. Money declines each year
- Zach LaVine: 4 year 78 million (19.5 a year) restricted FA offer. Signed at age 23. Averages year he signed: 17 PTS, 3 APG, 4 RPG, was coming back from injury
- Jeff Teague: 3 year 57 million (19 a year). Older, signed at age 29
- Kent Bazemore: 4 year 70 million (17.5 A YEAR). Signed at age 27. Still hasn’t matched anything close to DLo
OK WHO HAS SPACE? According to Bobby Marks and Spotrac
THE PROBABLY NOTS:
- Hawks: 41 million in cap space
- Mavericks: 29 million
- Los Angeles Lakers: 36 million
- Pacers: 43 million (Indiana may want to but DLo would have to agree to come to Indiana)
THE MAYBE IF WE GET KNOCKED OFF COURSE:
- Magic: Spotrac says they could get to 22 million. Bobby Marks says that number though is just 17 million. Big difference. 22 may get you DLo, 17 ain’t. BTW - Timofey Mozgov’s 16 mil next year holding them back!
- 76ers: If they let Jimmy and Tobias walk, they have max room and will be desperate
- Suns: Spotrac says they can get to 22 million if they renounce all holds. Former Sean Marks signee Tyler Johnson holding them back . Could dump TJ Warren and his 10 million a year to get more room. Suns with the most obvious connection. Devin Booker and Russell are close friends and the Suns need a point guard.
- Kings: 33-37 million in space even if Harrison Barnes opts in. If opts out - 58-62 in space. Russell is not a perfect fit next to Fox but the Kings did throw an offer sheet at Zach LaVine.
- Knicks: 71 million. Nets were rumored to want to blow up the Knicks situation by offering Kristaps Porzingis a crazy deal, maybe the Knicks will do the same if they don’t get Kevin Durant and/or Kyrie Irving.
- Clippers: 53 million. Same situation as the Knicks: they miss out on all their targets and feel pressure to grab talent.
(Again - all of the stats may be off but they should be close)