Caris LeVert will not play Thursday vs. New York, but he is, as he said earlier in the day, clearly close to a return after missing six weeks of action after right thumb surgery.
Caris LeVert said he’s still doing contact drills with the coaches and has done some with his teammates. “I’m right there but I’m not playing in games yet.” Doesn’t want to put a timeline on his return.— Alex Schiffer (@Alex__Schiffer) December 26, 2019
Caris LeVert is out tonight vs. #Knicks, but clearly close. What’s the next step? "I think just getting my legs up under me. I was out about a month, a month-and-a-half or so – I don’t really know how long it was – but just getting my rhythm, getting my legs back.” #Nets #NBA— Brian Lewis (@NYPost_Lewis) December 26, 2019
LeVert did contact work with coaches on Monday then after with his teammate on Tuesday and early Thursday. He’s missed 20 games since November 10 during which time the Nets have gone 12-8. Two games later, Kyrie Irving went down with shoulder issues. There’s no word on his return. Nicolas Claxton is also out with a hamstring injury.
After playing the Knicks Thursday, the Nets head out on the road, playing four of the next five away from Barclays Center, starting with the Rockets on Saturday. The Nets only home game in that stretch is January 4, vs. the defending NBA champion Raptors.
- Caris Levert’s imminent return the beginning of Nets reshuffling - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Nets’ Caris LeVert takes a critical step toward his return - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Moving Kyrie Irving off the ball doesn’t make sense and won’t happen - Kristian Winfield - New York Daily News
- Caris LeVert ‘getting closer’ to return; Kyrie Irving still not practicing - Malika Andrews - ESPN
- Nets’ Kenny Atkinson: Surgery not yet an option for Kyrie Irving - Alex Smith - SNY
- Nets’ historically bad loss to Knicks shows just how much they miss Caris LeVert - Alex Schiffer - The Athletic New York