It wasn’t much of a surprise, but the Nets announced Friday night that Kyrie Irving, still suffering from shoulder impingement, will miss the team’s next three games vs. the Knicks, Cavaliers and Celtics, all road games.
After being evaluated this evening, it has been determined that Kyrie Irving will miss the team’s upcoming three-game road trip (NYK, CLE, BOS). He will be re-assessed once the team returns.
That will bring to seven Irving’s streak of missed games. The announcement did not provide any indication of when the Nets point guard will return. He’ll be evaluated again at the end of the road trip. The Nets will return home the night before Thanksgiving and play Boston at home a week from Friday.
Irving injured his shoulder vs. the Suns in Phoenix on November 10. He tried to play through the pain in Utah two days later before shutting it down vs. the Bulls in Chicago, the final game of the team’s west coast road trip. The Nets beat Chicago, lost to Indiana, then beat the Hornets and Kings back at home.
With Kevin Durant expected to be out for the season recovering from an Achilles rupture and Caris LeVert out another month following right thumb surgery, Irving’s injury has left the Nets with little margin for error.
The announcement will deprive Celtics fans of providing a Boston welcome in his first game since he decided to opt out of his contract and sign with the Nets.
And as Bobby Marks pointed out, the mounting absences could hurt Irving financially...
As part of his contract signed this summer, Kyrie Irving has a $125K bonus for playing in 70+ games. That bonus is now in jeopardy with Irving scheduled to miss the next 3 games (NYK, CLE and BOS).— Bobby Marks (@BobbyMarks42) November 23, 2019
Irving was at Friday’s game vs. Sacramento but did not make an appearance courtside, instead opting for treatment at Barclays Center. After the win, Irving hugged Kenny Atkinson in the locker room. Recovering from a shoulder impingement normally involves oral anti-inflammatories and physical therapy but rest is viewed as paramount.
- Nets’ Kyrie Irving to miss next 3 away games with shoulder injury - Sarah Valenzuela - New York Daily News
- Nets’ Kyrie Irving’s shoulder impingement as told by an expert - Kristian Winfield - New York Daily News
- Kyrie Irving to miss 3-game road trip, won’t face Knicks or Celtics - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- No Sleep Till Brooklyn Recovers - Sopan Deb - New York Times
- Nets’ Kyrie Irving to miss Celtics return with shoulder injury - Malika Andrews - ESPN
- Nets Kyrie Irving to miss next three match-ups, including the Knicks - Alex Smith - SNY
- Kyrie Irving to miss Boston return because of lingering shoulder injury - Joe Vardon - The Athletic NBA