clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Leaky roof ends G League game in Erie with Nets ahead by one

Victor Fernandes via Twitter

With 9:40 left in Saturday’s game between the Long Island Nets and Erie Bayhawks, a leaky roof at the Erie Insurance Arena led to a rare G League suspension. Long Island led Erie, 88-87, at the time of the decision to suspend the game.

Although the G League has expanded dramatically, there remains a disparity among team venues, with the Nets Nassau Coliseum at the top of list. Some of the league’s older teams, however, play in what are little more than glorified high school gyms.

Victor Fernandes of the Erie Times-News said arena officials identified the culprit as outdated equipment.

Embarrassingly, the leak occurred above half court.

Fernandes reported that although nothing is official, there are several options.

The BayHawks and Nets were awaiting word from NBA G League officials about the completion of the game late Saturday. But a BayHawks official said the game either could resume at the point of stoppage at a later date. The BayHawks (14-12) and Nets (18-8) also could play the game in its entirety.

The two teams play again on March 13 in Long Island.

Before the game ended prematurely, Nets two-way Theo Pinson continued his solid scoring and had a near a triple-double. He led the Nets in scoring with 19 points to go along with eight rebounds and seven assists.

Shannon Scott, son of 2018 Hall of Famer Charlie Scott, recorded 15 points, four rebounds, and four assists.

Thomas Wimbrish, Long Island’s 6’7” swingman, had a good outing as well with 14 points and two rebounds while Tahjere McCall scored 12 points, grabbed four rebounds, and handed out four assists. Kamari Murphy recorded 11 points and three rebounds.

With Alan Williams resting (and perhaps ready to fill in for Kenneth Faried), Terrence Jones of the Bayhawks had a strong game leading all scorers with 26 points, eight rebounds, and six assists while Jordan Sibert recorded 17 points, three rebounds, two assists.

In addition to their dominant big man Williams staying back for rest and Dzanan Musa still out with a shoulder injury and Jordan McLaughlin rehabbing from a hamstring injury, the Nets went with an unfamiliar starting five with two-way player Pinson, Scott, Murphy, and McCall as well as the recently signed Okaro White.

The Nets had a strong first quarter outscoring the Erie Bayhawks 36-27. Murphy, the Brooklyn native, led the Nets in scoring with nine points in the opening period while Pinson recorded six.

Long Island shot 41.7% from the field in the first half but trailed the Bayhawks 58-55. The Bayhawks outscored the Nets in the second quarter 31-19. Terrence Jones had a strong first half giving the Nets trouble from mid-range and the paint. He had 19 at the half.

Despite being without Williams, Long Island still controlled the boards, 29-20.

The third quarter was a battle between the two teams. Long Island had the edge outscoring the Bayhawks 28-26 in the third but he Nets trailed the Bayhawks 84-83 entering the fourth. Despite trailing by one entering the final period, Pinson had a strong quarter scoring 9 points and a powerful slam over a defender.

Then, with 9:40 left in the game, refs stopped the action as water began to leak onto the court. . The game was delayed for roughly thirty minutes before the game was ruled suspended. Long Island leads the G League’s Eastern Conference by two games.