clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

No timetable for return but Caris LeVert feels ‘blessed’

New, comments
Michael Scotto/The Athletic

Caris LeVert knows from injury recovery. He had three surgeries at Michigan which derailed, then delayed his NBA dreams. But he’s always stayed positive. And Monday’s re-introduction got the Nets beat writers proved no exception. He arrived on crutches and in a walking boot, but he was all smiles about the prognosis, calling himself “blessed” that he only suffered a foot dislocation.

LeVert didn’t say much about his rehab or his timetable for return. The Nets PR staff cut off questions about a timetable, as Michael Scotto tweeted out after the meeting with press...

LeVert did say that he considers the foot dislocation a less than a “very, very, very serious injury” and thinks he will come back better than ever.

The big story of the short meeting with the press was LeVert’s retelling of what happened and how he felt after going down in the second quarter of the Nets loss to the Timberwolves.

“I think the first thing I thought was like, ‘Man, that’s a bad sprain,’ “ LeVert said. “ ‘I probably won’t be able to play any more today.’ [That was] before actually looking at it, because the pain of it just felt like a regular sprain and knew I kind of fell on the side of my ankle. Obviously, when I looked at it, I was like, ‘That’s messed up.’ “

But after a visit to a local emergency room and a simple but painful procedure, he grew optimistic that he was going to be alright.

“When they carried me off and then we went in the back, they kind of had to put it back in place,” LeVert said. “That was actually really painful. That was the most painful part of it all.

“And then they took me to the hospital . . . and then they told me that they didn’t see anything major aside from the dislocation and they would let me know the next day [after] some more tests at the hospital back in New York. So I was pretty relieved. Then obviously the next day I was very relieved.”

LeVert was examined at the Hospital for Special Surgery, the Nets official hospital, and specifically by Dr. Martin O’Malley, the Nets orthopedist and the surgeon who performed his third surgery.

“I remember that night, when I got to the hospital [HSS], I didn’t get any sleep because I was just thinking the whole time, hoping it wasn’t as bad as it looked and how it felt,” he said. “But obviously I’m very blessed because it could have been a lot worse.”