The Nets will celebrate the life of Brooklyn-born Biggie Smalls, also known as The Notorious B.I.G. and Billboard’s “greatest rapper of all-time,” when the Nets host the New York Knicks at Barclays Center on Sunday, March 12 at 6 p.m. The evening will commemorate Biggie’s iconic legacy and the 20th anniversary of his death on March 9, 1997.
Biggie’s closest family and friends will be in attendance to remember him throughout the night, with Sean “Diddy” Combs and Biggie’s mom Voletta Wallace paying tribute to The Notorious B.I.G. with special pre-game and halftime ceremonies. Invited guests include Biggie’s children, T’Yanna and CJ Wallace, Mark Pitts, and Wayne Barrow.
Music from Biggie and the artists he inspired will be played throughout the game, the Brooklynettes will perform two special routines, and at halftime, DJ Enuff will play for the crowd. Fans will also see a video montage commemorating Biggie’s life, and fans are encouraged to participate in the conversation on social media using #NetsBiggieNight.
“Biggie’s music played a major role in positioning Brooklyn at the forefront of the music industry, and on Sunday we will celebrate his enduring legacy,” said Brett Yormark, CEO of Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment. “There is no better place to honor him than at Barclays Center, Brooklyn’s biggest stage and the home of hip-hop.”
On Barclays opening night in 2012, Jay-Z gave a shout-out to Biggie during his performance.
On behalf of the Christopher Wallace Memorial Foundation, the Nets will refurbish the basketball gym at Queen of All Saints School in Brooklyn, where The Notorious B.I.G. attended middle school.
The Notorious B.I.G. Estate will also unveil Biggie’s official “Hypnotize” designer label this week with a full-scale cross-continental joint launch, culminating at “Biggie Night.” The collection will debut March 9-12 with a special pop-up shop at The Swag Shop at Barclays Center. Among the designer label’s items are limited-edition t-shirts, hoodies, bomber jackets, snapbacks, bags and other accessories.
- 20 years later, Biggie Smalls’ murder remains rap’s great mystery - Lia Eustachewich, Linda Massarella & Reuven Fenton - New York Post
- Where Brooklyn at? Nets to honor late rapper with ‘Biggie Night’ - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Nets will host ‘Biggie Night’ against Knicks to celebrate Brooklyn rapper on 20th anniversary of his death - John Healy - New York Daily News
- Nets to host 'Biggie Night,' honor rapper on 20th anniversary of death - Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN
- Nets to Celebrate The Notorious B.I.G. at Barclays Center - Ashley Domagola - WNBC
- BROOKLYN NETS TO HONOR NOTORIOUS B.I.G. ON MARCH 12 - Zac Wassink - Bleacher Report
- The Brooklyn Nets will honor The Notorious B.I.G. this weekend - Eric Freeman - Yahoo! Sports
- 20th Anniversary of B.I.G.'s Death: Family Releases New Merch, Album and TV Show - Adrienne Gibbs - Forbes