BROOKLYN, N.Y. — The Nets are running through the season with their woes.
The Nets had a chance to redeem themselves after a 132-113 blowout in Toronto this past Friday. They also had a chance to end their 10-game skid.
It never happened. And really, will it ever?
With Kyle Lowry sitting out, the Toronto Raptors (28-13) defeated the Brooklyn Nets (8-33), 119-109, Tuesday night at Barclays Center. The Nets and their fans watched DeMar DeRozan and Cory Joseph singlehandedly dominate the Nets with the duo combining for 69 of Toronto’s points.
The Nets have lost 11 straight game and 16 of the last 17.
So, are you ready for the same script?
The Nets looked good and withstood Toronto’s attack without Kyle Lowry. They shot the ball at a 52 percent clip behind 19 points from Brook Lopez and 10 from Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, giving them a 61-55 lead at the half. Toronto didn’t look the same without Kyle Lowry, but Corey Joseph had a stellar half in his place with 18 points.
There was a different vibe in the air. Something just felt… different, like the Nets could pull this one off. Maybe it was because DeMar DeRozan was 3-for-14 in the half.
Also, they didn’t force the 3-point ball as much (4-of-15). Rather, they attacked the rim and scored 38 points inside the paint behind the lead of Brook Lopez: their biggest strength.
Lopez led the team with 28 points and eight rebounds, surviving a second half scare when he fell and grabbed the high ankle above his surgically reconstructed right foot.
"I just landed on someone's foot. There was some discomfort for a play or two but it feels good now," he said post-game
The Nets two 22-year-old forwards, Caris LeVert and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, finished with 14 apiece. LeVert shot 6-o-f-8 overall 3-of-4 from deep. He also had three rebounds and four assists in 23 minutes. RHJ shot 5-of-8, grabbed eight rebounds and handed out three assists in 25.
"Basketball is a feel game, a rhythm game. As I get more minutes, I get more comfortable,” said LeVert post-game.
"We want to bring him along intelligently, grow him. He's pushing us for more minutes. A real positive on the night is his development,” said Kenny Atkinson of LeVert.
But it wasn’t enough. Similar to Friday night, DeRozan got cookin’ in the third quarter and the Raptors started to pull away just a bit. Their largest lead was 11 in the third quarter as they outscored Brooklyn 34-24.
DeRozan scored 10 of his 36 in the third quarter. After the poor 3-of-14 shooting half, he finished the game 13-of-28. Corey Joseph scored 33 points on 15-of-22 shooting.
The script is very similar to the past. The Nets fought back and cut it down to six, but the Raptors went on an 10-1 run and extended the lead to 15, midway through the fourth quarter. By no surprise, DeRozan jolted the run when he checked into the game and scored eight of the 10.
The Nets shot 45.5 percent and scored 62 points in the paint to make up for their 28 percent shooting night from three.
ACY’S FINAL GAME ON 10-DAY
Since the Nets don’t play until Friday, they’ll have to make a decision whether they want to keep Acy or not. They can sign him to another 10-day contract if they please. He’s only logged 29 minutes in five games — 20 of the 29 coming in the last game against Houston where he scored nine points.
Next up: New Orleans Pelicans, Friday.
- Box Score - Toronto Raptors 119 Brooklyn Nets 109 - NBA.com
- Highlights: Raptors vs. Nets (Video) - NBA.com
- Highlights: Cory Joseph (Video) - NBA.com
- Lopez leads vs. Toronto (Video) - NBA.com
- Up high, down low (Video) - NBA.com
- Joseph’s sweet revenge (Video) - NBA.com
- Circus shot by Hollis-Jefferson (Video) - NBA.com
- Highlight play by Lopez (Video) - NBA.com
- Rise up (Video) - NBA.com
- Rack attack (Video) - NBA.com
- Lopez Denies Valanciunas (Video) - Brooklyn Nets
- Lopez Spin Move (Video) - Brooklyn Nets
- LeVert Highlights in the Third (Video) - Brooklyn Nets
- LeVert Drains Three (Video) - Brooklyn Nets
- Lopez Denies DeRozan (Video) - Brooklyn Nets
- Lopez with the Footwork (Video) - Brooklyn Nets
- Nets Post Game Plus: TOR at BKN (Video) - YES Network
- Atkinson on loss to Raptors (Video) - YES Network
- Caris LeVert on growing in NBA (Video) - YES Network
- Lopez on injury scare (Video) - YES Network
- DeRozan scores 36, Raptors hand Nets 11th straight loss - Michael Scotto - AP
- Joseph's career game pushes Raptors past Nets - Larry Fleisher - Reuters
- Nets have everything going for them — and still blow it - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Nets could bid for Otto Porter with desperate need for shooting - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Nets have no answers for Raptors’ backcourt in 11th straight loss - Greg Logan - Newsday
- Kenny Atkinson likes his team’s competitive fire - Greg Logan - Newsday
- Joseph, DeRozan combine for 69 points, drop lowly Nets with ease (Game Grades) - Benny Nadeau - The Brooklyn Game
- Brooklyn Nets vs. Toronto Raptors 01/17/17 Recap and Player Grades - Matthew Pisani - Brook-Lin
- Toronto Pulls Away from Nets, 119-109 - Cory Wright - Brooklyn Nets
- Gallery: Nets vs. Raptors - David Dow - Brooklyn Nets
- Raptors cap record first half with win over Nets - Doug Smith - Toronto Star
- Three things we saw when the Raptors beat the Nets - Doug Smith - Toronto Star
- Even with Kyle Lowry resting, Raptors crush Nets - Mike Gantner - Toronto Sun