Just as he had in the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament, Bojan Bogdanovic scored big and often as Croatia upset silver medal favorite Spain, Sunday night. While Dario Saric of the 76ers had the big play, a dramatic last second block of a Pau Gasol hook shoot, Bogdanovic was the consistent thread after halftime.
Bogdanovic scored 23 points on 8-of-15 shooting, including 3-of-8 from deep and 4-of-5 from the charity stripe to go with three rebounds, two assists and one block in 36 minutes. Just as he did in the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament, Bogdanovic scored about a third of Croatia's points.
Aco Petrovic's team trailed by as many as 14 points but clawed their way back and in a thrilling final quarter made the big plays on both ends of the floor for a 72-70 victory.. Croatia has now defeated three European powers, Greece, Italy and Spain in the qualifying tournament and the Olympics.
In the next game, Luis Scola was part of Argentina's easy 94-66 win over Nigeria. The new Net scored 18 points on 6-of-10 shooting, including 1-of-2 from deep to go along with nine rebounds and three assists.
Croatia and Argentina face off Tuesday at 9:30 p.m. ET
- 2016 Olympic Games: Tournament for Men - Saric and Simon lead Croatia to shock win over Spain - FIBA.com
- 2016 Olympic Games: Tournament for Men - Argentina race out to early lead, roll to convincing win over Nigeria - FIBA.com
- Box Score - Croatia 72, Spain 70 - FIBA.com
- Box Score - Argentine 94, Nigeria 66 - FIBA.com
- Saric seals Croatia’s upset of Spain - John Schuhmann - NBA.com
- Croatia shocks Spain in opening game win - NBC Olympics
- Argentina coasts to win over Nigeria in first game in Rio - NBC Olympics