The Brooklyn Nets are 1-0 in Summer League play, after beating the defending champs Cleveland Cavaliers, 79-73. The Nets were led by Sean Kilpatrick, who scored 19 points on 7-of-12 shooting in just over 20 minutes of action.
Overall, the Nets shot just 40.9 percent from the floor and turned the ball over 26 times, but were able to make a late push to drop the Cavs, who shot just 34.3 percent from the floor. The Cavaliers are now 0-2 in Summer League play.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Chris McCullough weren't very, well, good. Hollis-Jefferson shot 1-of-5 form the floor for three points in 24-plus minutes, adding 5 turnovers to his stat line, while McCullough shot 3-of-7 from the floor for 9 points and 4 turnovers in 42 minutes.
The good, I suppose, was that RHJ had 7 steals in this one and both of the second-year players were able to pull down 8 rebounds apiece.
Rookie Isaiah Whitehead had 10 points in 24 minutes, but also dropped 7 turnovers. He did play well down the stretch, directing the offense as it reeled off a couple of late runs. His confidence seemed to grow as the game wore on. Beau Beech, the 6'9" Florida kid with the perfect name, had 10 points and a spectacular come-from-behind block in the first half. He shot 4-of-9 including 2-of-6 from deep and finished with 5 rebounds, 2 blocks and 2 steals.
Meanwhile, Zach Braziller tweeted out the terms of Whitehead's contract. Although taken in the middle of the second round, Whitehead's deal is comparable to a that of a first round pick.
Source on Isaiah Whitehead contract: 4-year deal, two years fully guaranteed, late first round money. #nets— Zach Braziller (@NYPost_Brazille) July 9, 2016
Of course, no one expected to see magic in the first game of the Summer League, but it's nice to see the Nets with a close-out win.
Next up for the Nets, they play Monday at 4:30PM EST against the Atlanta Hawks.
- Brooklyn Nets vs. Cleveland Cavaliers - July 9, 2016 - Box Score and Highlights - NBA.com
- Summer League Hub - Brooklyn Nets
- Isaiah Whitehead shows nerves, promise in Nets debut -Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Brooklyn Nets Guard Isaiah Whitehead Signs Four-Year Deal - Jesse Borek - Today's Fast Break
- Chris McCullough debuts in NBA Summer League; Fair, Southerland in action, too - Donna Ditota - Syracuse Post-Standard
- Former UNF Osprey Beau Beech debuts in NBA Summer League - Nick Blank - WTLV