They're going for broke.
The Nets have signed Allen Crabbe, the 6'6" Portland shooting guard ,to a four year, $75 million offer sheet, daring the Blazers to match. Like their offer to Tyler Johnson earlier Thursday, the Crabbe offer must be matched within three days or the 24-year-old becomes a Net.
As per usual, Adrian Wojnarowski broke the story....
Sources: Portland RFA Allen Crabbe has signed a four-year, $75M offer sheet with the Brooklyn Nets. Bonuses could reach $83M.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojVerticalNBA) July 8, 2016
Portland has three days to match the sheet on Crabbe, which includes player option for fourth year and trade kicker, sources said.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojVerticalNBA) July 8, 2016
NetsDaily has confirmed the report.
The money in both offer sheets is fully guaranteed with the final year a player option. Crabbe's deal also includes a trade kicker.
Jason Quick of the Comcast Sports Net said Crabbe wants to start and there's no room for him Portland.
Brooklyn has promised Allen Crabbe he will be a starter. Crabbe wants that role. Does not want to be in Portland if he comes off bench.— Jason Quick (@jwquick) July 8, 2016
Unlike the Johnson offer sheet, the Crabbe deal does not contain a '"poison pill," a big payout in the third and fourth year. It appears to be a straight four year deal, meaning an annual salary of $18.75 million. If the Heat and Blazers fail to match, the Nets would be within a few million dollars of the $94 million salary. cap. Before the Johnson and Crabbe offers, Brooklyn had a little more than $33 million in cap space. The two deals would eat up about $30 million of that total.
Sean Marks and Nets ownership believe that they need to make up for the draft picks given up during the Billy King era by finding young players with talent who fit the team's new culture. And Mikhail Prokhorov and Dmitry Razumov are fully on-board. If they have to overpay, take risks, so be it.
The offer sheet comes the same night as news that the Blazers have signed Festus Ezeli to two-year, $16 million contract. The immediate reaction was that the Blazers ownership would have enough money left to sign Crabbe, Meyers Leonard and Maurice Harkless. But that analysis was based on an offer sheet of $70 million.
- Allen Crabbe receives 4-year, $75 million offer sheet from Brooklyn Nets - Jason Quick - Comcast Sports Net
- Sources: Nets sign Allen Crabbe to $75M offer sheet - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo Sports
- Allen Crabbe gets $75 million, 4-year offer sheet from Nets - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN
- Brooklyn Nets hope big-money risks pay off - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN
- Jay Williams floored with Nets' offer to Crabbe (Video) - ESPN
- RFA Crabbe signs 4-year, $75 million offer sheet with Nets - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Nets sign Allen Crabbe to 4-year, $75 million offer sheet - Daniel O'Leary - New York Daily News
- Allen Crabbe gets $75 million, 4-year offer sheet from Nets - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Allen Crabbe signs offer sheet with Nets, reports say - Mike Rose - Newsday
- Nets make Thaddeus Young to Pacers deal official - Laura Albanese - Newsday
- Indiana’s Yogi Ferrell trying to make Nets the hard way - Ari Kramer - Newsday
- Nets make four-year, $75 million offer to Allen Crabbe, Trail Blazers have three days to match Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Woj: Nets (actually) sign Allen Crabbe to offer sheet worth 4 years, 70 million - Benny Nadeau - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets movers, not shakers during free agency - John Torenli - Brooklyn Daily Eagle
- Allen Crabbe Agrees to Offer Sheet From Brooklyn Nets - Eric Griffith - Blazer's Edge
- Trail Blazers' Allen Crabbe signs 4-year, $75 million offer sheet with Brooklyn Nets - Joe Freeman - Oregonian