With six games left, the Nets front office has decided to shut down Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young, their two workhorses, for the rest of the season, the team announced.
The two players who hadn't missed a game to injury all season played some of the best basketball of their careers for a team that is now likely to be the Nets worst in Brooklyn and the worst since the disastrous 2009-10 season when they won 12. The Nets would have to win four of their last six to top the 24-win season in 2010-11. The team's winning percentage --currently 27.6%-- is also the worst ever for a professional sports team in Brooklyn, worse than the Dodgers worst in 1905.
The Nets currently have the fourth worst record in the NBA, with one more win than the Phoenix Suns. It's impossible for the 76ers. Of course, if they finish below the Suns, that would increase the Celtics chances in the lottery, but only minimally. The team with the third worst record has a 15.6 percent chance of getting the overall No. 1, the team with the fourth worst record has an 11.9 percent chance.
For the season, Lopez played 73 games, missing none to injury, averaging 20.6 points, grabbing 7.8 rebounds and blocking 1.7 shots. Young played 73 games, averaging 15.9 points, 9.0 rebounds and 1.5 steals.
- Tony Brown on shutting down Lopez and Young for year (Video) - YES Network
- Nets smart to shut down Brook Lopez, Thaddeus Young -- even if it help - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN
- Nets pull plug on Brook Lopez’s, Thaddeus Young’s seasons - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Nets shut down Brook Lopez, Thaddeus Young for rest of year - Peter Botte - New York Daily News
- Nets shut Brook Lopez, Thaddeus Young down for rest of season - Colin Stephenson - Newsday
- Nets sit one out, get pounded by Pelicans, 105-87 - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Brook Lopez, Thaddeus Young shut down for the season - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets shut down Lopez, Young for rest of season - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner.com
- Shutdown Of Lopez Shows Nets Tanking For No Good Reason - Steve Lichtenstein -
- CBS New York