BROOKLYN, N.Y. -- The Nets took a step in the right direction on Thursday night when they held a press conference about the Long Island Nets, their soon-to-be D-League affiliate that will eventually play in the Islanders old home, Nassau Coliseum.
Slowly but surely, the Nets are making wiser decisions so they can avoid a repeat of this season sometime in the future.
It was all smiles for the Nets who presented the sparkling red, white and blue coloring, while Sean Marks discussed the importance in developing players in the D-League. All smiles.
And then they had to play the game... and the smiles continued. The Nets pretty much controlled the tempo the entire game and defeated the Cavs, 104-95, after holding LeBron James scoreless in the fourth quarter.
The young bucks of Brooklyn looked hungry against LeBron and the Cavs to start. They gained a 13-point lead in the second quarter behind the hefty play of Shane Larkin (16 points, 7 assists) and Brook Lopez.
As expected, however, the Cavs came back with a strong third quarter and outscored the Nets 34-21. LeBron James had 30 points on 13-of-14 shooting entering the fourth, which is never a good sign.
The Cavs regained control with a 92-90 lead midway through the quarter.
But it was the spirited, young bucks of Brooklyn that changed the game. The Nets answered with an 11-0 run and took a nine-point lead with two minutes remaining. As for LeBron James... He was held scoreless in the fourth quarter and took only two shots. The Cavs as a whole were limited to just 12 points in the fourth.
The dagger: Brook Lopez and-one on LeBron James. Just how we all predicted.
Lopez finished with 22 points, seven rebounds and five assists. He also passed Vince Carter for 2nd All-Time for most points scored in Nets history with 8,835 points.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson scored eight points in the 4th and helped keep the Nets afloat for nearly half the quarter. The rookie finished with 10 points, seven rebounds and three steals in 15 minutes. He told reporters last game that his restriction was 14-16 minutes per game, so he was forced to check out earlier than most wished. Post-game, shooting coach David Nurse made sure to let RHJ know they had shooting practice Friday.
Before the game, Sean Marks told reporters, "As many of you are aware, we're short one or two draft picks" essentially laying out how he wants to use D-League affiliate to develop players. Well, he's hit a homerun on his first attempt with Sean Kilpatrick.
Kilpatrick scored in double digits for the seventh straight game with 10 points in 22 minutes. The man ahead of him in the lineup, Bojan Bogdanovic, finished with 12 points on 4-of-11 shooting.
Hey, things may not be all that great but I'll take a team that fights like this over the team we were watching back in December ANY day of the week. It's been a lot of fun.
Next up: Indiana Pacers, Saturday night at 6:00 p.m.
- Cavaliers vs. Nets - Game Recap - ESPN
- Game Thread: Brooklyn Nets vs. Cleveland Cavaliers, 7:30 PM - NetsDaily
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs Brooklyn Nets - Box Score - NBA.com
- Nets blow by LeBron, Cavs in 4th, win 104-95 - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Cold-shooting finish dooms Cavs in loss to Nets - Larry Fleisher - Reuters
- Cavaliers vs. Nets - Game Recap - ESPN
- Move of the Night: Donald Sloan (Video) - NBA.com
- Cavaliers vs. Nets(Video) - NBA.com
- James Hits 30 (Video) - NBA.com
- Sloan Crosses Up Dellvedova (Video) - NBA.com
- LeBron Banks It In (Video) - NBA.com
- LeBron Jams The Rock (Video) - NBA.com
- Lopez Drops 22 Against the Cavs (Video) - NBA.com
- Kilpatrick Breaks Through (Video) - NBA.com
- Post Game Plus: Nets beat the Cavaliers, 104-95 (Video) - Bob Lorenz - YES Network
- Shane Larkin on collective defense to beat the Cavs (Video) - YES Network
- Hollis-Jefferson on team energy to beat the Cavs (Video) - YES Network
- Tony Brown on the Nets victory over the Cavaliers (Video) - YES Network
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, young Brooklyn Nets upset Cleveland Cavaliers - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN
- Nets take down LeBron, Cavs, 104-95 - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- LeBron James plays low-energy card in Cavs’ ugly loss to Nets - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Nets don’t have a draft pick, but they have this ace up their sleeve - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- LeBron James, Cavaliers fall to Nets’ younger lineup - Laura Albanese - Newsday
- As LeBron James Concentrates on Playoffs, and Fans Focus on Him, Cavaliers Fall to Nets - Seth Berkman - New York Times
- Dear Diary II: The Nets beat the Cavaliers (Game Grades) - Benny Nadeau - The Brooklyn Game
- Brook Lopez, Thaddeus Young may see minutes cut as season winds down - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets Step Up in Fourth Quarter, Beat Cavaliers 104-95 - Cory Wright - Brooklyn Nets
- Cleveland Cavaliers run out of gas in fourth quarter, lose 104-95 at Brooklyn - Chris Haynes - Cleveland Plain-Dealer
- Cleveland Cavaliers fall apart in the fourth quarter and LeBron James gets little help: Fedor's five observations - Chris Fedor - Cleveland Plain-Dealer
- Cleveland Cavaliers not named LeBron James were a disaster against Brooklyn Nets: DMan's Report, Game 72 - Dannis Manoloff - Cleveland Plain-Dealer
- Nets 104, Cavs 95; Jason Lloyd's 16 thoughts on hapless, helpless, hopeless losses - Jason Lloyd - Akron Beacon-Journal
- A loss in Brooklyn proves the Cavaliers are still a mess -Tim Bontemps - Washington Post
- Watch LeBron James Throw a Hissy Fit During the Cavaliers’ Loss to the Nets (Video) - The Source