Various reports have Joe Johnson signing with the Miami Heat once he clears waivers Saturday afternoon. Pat Riley, the Heat GM, made a big push to sign the 34-year-old swingman, waived by the Nets on Thursday.. Johnson had been pursued by the Cavaliers, Thunder and Hawks.
The news was broken by ESPN's Zach Lowe on Twitter.
The Heat expect to sign Joe Johnson today or this weekend, sources say.— Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) February 26, 2016
The news was later confirmed by various reporters, including beat writers for the Heat and Cavaliers. Johnson is likely to play more minutes in Miami, particularly if Chris Bosh, troubled once again by blood clots, can't return this season. The Heat might very well use Johnson at the 4.
The Nets play the Heat for a fourth and final time this season March 28 in Miami.
- Joe Johnson expected to sign with Miami Heat - ESPN
- Joe Johnson waived by the Nets, expected to sign with the Heat - Jesus Gomez - SBNation
- Sources: Veteran Joe Johnson commits to Heat -Shams Charania - Yahoo Sports
- Joe Johnson expected to sign with Miami Heat - Tim Reynolds - AP
- Joe Johnson spurns LeBron, taking talents to South Beach - Mark W. Sanchez - New York Post