BROOKLYN, N.Y. -- Let's talk about the HSS Center, the hiring of Sean Marks or the Knicks game ... ANYTHING that happened this past week ... before this game.
Through the long and foggy drive through the ‘bridge' to next year, the ride became a little more bearable after a pretty great week for the Brooklyn Nets organization. Unfortunately they couldn't put the cherry on the cake.
The good fortune ended with a 104-96 loss too the Charlotte Hornets, Sunday in Brooklyn before heading out on a nine-game "Circus road-trip".
Let's take a brief look at how this week went.
First, it started with the unveiling of the new practice facility in Industry City. Then, it followed up with the hiring of Sean Marks, the new GM of the Nets formerly the Assistant GM in San Antonio. And of course last but not least, the Nets beat the Knicks by double digits, but ended it with a loss to the Hornets.
Prior to Sunday, the Nets had won three of the last five. The loss puts them at 15-41 on the season, despite playing much better under interim coach Tony Brown.
When Lionel Hollins was coach, the Nets were the third worst three-point shooting team at 31.5 percent. Since Tony Brown took over, the Nets are shooting 41 percent. That's BETTER than the Golden State Warriors. Sunday, however, they shot an abysmal 5-of-22 from downtown.
"I don't know if it was an off night," Tony Brown said after the loss. "I think their pressure made it tough for us to get into some of our sets."
The Nets went down by as many as 15 in the first half after Brook Lopez picked up two fouls in 13 minutes of action. The Hornets capitalized, but fell towards the end of the half when the Nets eventually cut it down to four.
But then, of course with the Nets luck, Nicolas Batum nailed a buzzer beater to end the first half that gave the Hornets all the momentum heading into break. They scored 31 points in the third quarter and led by 13 heading into the fourth.
Here we go again: Another hole for the Nets to dig themselves out of.
They got it to within four with four minutes remaining, but failed to make the most of their opportunities. They committed three turnovers and missed four shots the following three minutes. It led to a 9-0 Charlotte run that put this game out of reach with under a minute remaining.
Brook Lopez had an all around solid game with 16 points, 10 rebounds and a season-high and team-high six assists on the night. Donald Sloan and Shane Larkin combined for four assists.
Still, it was Kemba Walker who put the Nets out in this one. The Bronx native went off for 28 points on 11-of-18 shooting, outdueling any of the Nets' guards that tried to defend him.
"I just want to win," Kemba Walker said of his performance. "I just try to make the best plays possible, whether it's me scoring or me making a play to my teammate. That's really it."
Joe Johnson had 17 points on 4-of-6 shooting, while Thaddeus Young chipped in 14 points and eight rebounds, but turned the ball over six times. Markel Brown continued his hot play with 12 points off the bench.
Now, the Nets will embark on their nine-game "Circus" road-trip. The Brooklyn boys are just 4-19 on the road. Will it get any better?
Joe Johnson's advice for the long trip?
"Take it one game at a time."
Next up: Portland Trail Blazers on Tuesday.
For more on the Charlotte Hornets, check them out atAt The Hive.
- Game Thread: Brooklyn Nets vs. Charlotte Hornets, 6:00 PM - NetsDaily
- 2nd Half Game Thread: Hornets at Nets - NetsDaily
- Hornets vs. Nets - Game Summary - ESPN
- Charlotte Hornets vs Brooklyn Nets - Box Sore - NBA.com
- Nets put Knicks' in deeper rut - AP
- Hornets vs. Nets (Video) - NBA.com
- Lopez Beats The Buzzer (Video) - NBA.com
- Fighting Hard For The Two (Video) - NBA.com
- Switching Hands (Video) - NBA.com
- Young Brings The Thunder (Video) - NBA.com
- Lin Takes It To The Rack (Video) - NBA.com
- Not This Time (Video) - NBA.com
- Batum Beats The Buzzer (Video) - NBA.com
- Lopez Beats The Buzzer (Video) - NBA.com
- Post Game Plus: Nets fall to Hornets, 104-96 (Video) - Bob Lorenz - YES Network
- Brown on Sunday's 104-96 loss to Hornets (Video) - YES Network
- Lopez on tough 104-96 loss to the Hornets (Video) - YES Network
- Kemba Walker kills Nets’ buzz as grueling trip awaits - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Tony Brown making quite an impression with his Nets interim tag - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Nets head for long road trip after 104-96 loss to Hornets - Peter Botte - New York Daily News
- Nets fall to Hornets, 104-96 - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Nets notes: Andrea Bargnani wanted out - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Brook Lopez returns to being Nets’ big man in paint - Laura Albanese - Newsday
- Nets’ good fortune ends with loss to Hornets - Laura Albanese - Newsday
- Nets start the circus early, fall flat against the Hornets (Game Grades) - Benny Nadeau - The Brooklyn Game
- Kemba Walker provides sting against Brooklyn - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Nets Buzz Late But Get Stung By Hornets 104-96 - Cory Wright - Brooklyn Nets
- Charlotte Hornets take fifth in a row with win over Brooklyn Nets - Rick Bonnell - Charlotte Observer
- Kemba Walker rising as Charlotte Hornets improve - Rick Bonnell - Charlotte Observer