The Long Island Nets, playing in Fort Wayne, Indiana, won their second straight game Friday night, defeating the Mad Ants, 118-113, in a game that was remarkably similar to parent club’s game vs. Orlando ... except, of course, L.I. won. Even the scores were similar. Long Island won, 118-113, Brooklyn lost 118-111.
The young Nets, now 4-14, and the Mad Ants, now 9-3, went back and forth the whole night, but in the end, the Nets went on a small run to win, the key play a Yogi Ferrell three-pointer with no time on the clock late in the fourth. It was arguably Long Island’s best win of the season.
Mike Scott, the Hawks forward assigned to Long Island under the D-League’s flexible assignment program, led the Nets with 23 points on 10-of-20 shooting, including 3-of-6 from downtown. Trahson Burrell, the 6’7” swingman who’s been the surprise of the Long Island season, had his sixth double-double, with 21 points and 13 rebounds, shooting a perfect 9-of-9. Over the last nine games, the Memphis product is averaging 17.3 points and 9.8 rebounds, shooting 55.9 percent from the floor.
The two players with Brooklyn experience contributed as well. Ferrell, back in the state where he starred as a collegian, had 16 points, five assists and three steals. Chris McCullough, playing only 24 minutes, finished with 14 points, nine rebounds and a block. Donnie McGrath, Long Island’s 32-year-old international veteran, handed out six assists. He’s second in the league at 9.6 assists per game.
Fort Wayne, the Pacers affiliate, was led by Alex Poythress, the 6’7” Kentucky product who finished with 32 points and 11 rebounds.
Full game video can be found here.
- Box Score: Long Island Nets 118, Fort Wayne Mad Ants 113 - D-League
- Nets outlast Mad Ants - D-League
- Highlights: Mike Scott (Video) - D-League
- Highlights: Trahson Burrell (Video) - D-League
- Highlights: Chris McCullough (Video) - D-League
- Top Play by Yogi Ferrell (Video) - D-League
- Yogi Ferrell, Long Island Nets top Mad Ants 118-113 (Video) - WANE TV
- Former Indiana guard helps Long Island to upset of Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne News-Sentinel