BROOKLYN, N.Y. -- The post-Jarrett Jack era is off to a bad start.
With Jack out for the remainder of the season, the Boston Celtics only helped their cause in gaining a better draft pick in the second game of a home-and-home against the Brooklyn Nets, Monday night in Brooklyn.
They defeated the Nets, 103-94, and tied the season series at two apiece. It was the first game the Nets have played without Jarrett Jack, and well, it wasn't very pretty.
The Nets committed eight of their 14 turnovers in the first quarter alone. They allowed the Celtics to scored 37 points in the quarter and went down by 19 later in the second.
The backup unit produced two points in the first 4:25 they played and only 15 total on the night.
It was ugly to say the least, and certainly the opposite of re-assuring with Jack gone for the rest of the way. Shane Larkin and Donald Sloan finished with five assists combined. Joe Johnson led the team in assists with four, which might be a telling sign to give Joe a shot at point-forward. I mean, anything is worth a shot, right?
The Nets, however, made a little comeback late in the game and cut the deficit down to five in the fourth quarter behind a mini offensive jolt from Joe Johnson. Still, they couldn't get the stops when they needed them most, as Boston scored 11 points in the final three minutes of play.
Fittingly, Jae Crowder put home a dagger and-one to put Boston up nine with 1:29 left. Crowder led Boston with 23 points & three steals on 8-of-13 shooting. Isaiah Thomas chipped in 19 points and seven assists, while Jared Sullinger came off the bench and finished with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
Thaddeus Young did all he could to keep the Nets close in this one. He had, like usual, another double-double of 23 points & 15 rebounds. It's his 18th of the season.
Joe Johnson scored his 21 points -- his second consecutive game with 20+ points. Brook Lopez finished with 18 points, but struggled late in the fourth quarter. Meanwhile, Bojan Bogdanovic notched his first career double-double with 10 points & 12 rebounds despite shooting 3-of-14 from the field.
The Nets took 28 three-pointers, but only made six of them. They finished 38 percent overall. The Celtics, on the other hand, turned the ball over only seven times and out-scored the Nets 54-40 inside the paint.
Next up: Toronto Raptors, Wednesday 7:30 at Brooklyn.
For post-game quotes/audio, check out the LISTEN UP page.
For more on the Boston Celtics, check them out at CelticsBlog.
- Boston Celtics vs Brooklyn Nets - Box Score - NBA.com
- Boston Celtics vs. Brooklyn Nets - Box Score - ESPN
- Game Thread: Brooklyn Nets vs. Boston Celtics, 7:30 PM - NetsDaily
- 2nd Half Game Thread: Celtics at Nets - NetsDaily
- Crowder's career-high 25 lead Celtics over Nets, 103-94 - Brian Mahoney - AP
- Celtics vs. Nets (Video) - NBA.com
- Big-Time Block (Video) - NBA.com
- Sloan Takes it to the Hoop (Video) - NBA.com
- Thomas And-1 (Video) - NBA.com
- Turner's Great Fake (Video) - NBA.com
- Crowder And-1 (Video) - NBA.com
- Smart to the Basket (Video) - NBA.com
- Post Game Plus: Nets fall to Celtics, 103-94 (Video) - Chris Shearn - YES Network
- Lionel Hollins on loss of Jarrett Jack (Video) - YES Network
- Hollins on Nets loss, poor first quarter (Video) - YES Network
- Larkin on making teammates better, new role (Video) - YES Network
- Young on new additions to the starting line-up (Video) - YES Network
- Brook Lopez on turnovers, mental mistakes (Video) - YES Network
- Nets lose to Celtics, 103-94 - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Nets notes: Joe Johnson the playmaker - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- With Jarrett Jack out, Nets need even more from Joe Johnson - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Loss of Jarrett Jack Hangs Over a Nets Defeat - Seth Berkman - New York Times
- Without Jarrett Jack, Nets miss point in loss to Celtics - Mark Herrmann - Newsday
- Nets comeback bid falls short vs. Celtics in 103-94 loss - Scott Chiusano - New York Daily News
- Nets give ugly glimpse of what post-Jarrett Jack era looks like - Brian Lewis - New York Post
- Nets regress to the mean, lose finale against Celtics 103-94 (Game Grades) - Benny Nadeau - The Brooklyn Game
- Slow Start Costs Nets vs. Celtics - Cory Wright - Brooklyn Nets
- Jae Crowder's career game pushes Boston Celtics past Brooklyn Nets, 103-94 - Steve King - Springfield Republican
- Celtics bounce back, get even with Nets - Mark Murphy - Boston Herald
- Celtics get back on track by beating Nets - Adam Himmelsbach - Boston Globe
- Points in the paint key to Celtics win vs. Nets Points in the paint key to Boston Celtics win - A. Sherrod Blakely - Comcast Sports Net
- Keys to the Game: Celtics 103, Nets 94 - Taylor C. Snow - Boston Celtics