After an 0-5 record in Orlando, things looked bleak for the Nets, whose recent summer league exploits have been disastrous. But in Vegas, everything changed. The offense started clicking, often with the coach's son providing a lift off the bench; the defense got stingy and oh, yeah, the Nets signed Willie Reed and paired him with Cliff Alexander.
Wednesday was supposed to be a battle between Alexander and his Chicago high school rival, Jahlil Okafor. But Okafor asked for the day off so he could attend the ESPY's in Los Angeles. Off he went and the Nets took advantage of his absence, leading 14-2 early. Things got as close in the third, but the big man advantage sealed the deal.
Reed and Alexander combined for 24 points and 16 rebounds -- 11 and 9 for Reed, 13 and 7 for Alexander. In fact, it was Alexander's best game as a Nets summer leaguer. In addition to showing some offensive skills, Alexander also blocked two shots and used his ample frame to muck things up underneath.
Markel Brown led the Nets with 24 points, shooting 10-of-20. And just as he has since the team moved from Florida to Nevada, Austin Hollins was a spark off the bench, hitting 4-of-5 from deep to finish with 13. His long range prowess was needed after Ryan Boatwright went down seven minutes into the game. He left with a shoulder injury after he took a flagrant foul from the Sixers' Steve Zach (who threw a hip into him and knocked him flat during an inbound play). Boatright had scored seven points but didn't return. Hours later, Reed tweeted out that fans should pray for Boatright .. but didn't offer details.
Overall, the Nets shot a blistering 64.3 percent from deep.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson continued his up-and-down summer. He scored only two points on 1-of-6 shooting but had the block of the game.
The Nets play San Antonio Thursday, facing Jonathon Simmons, who played with them in Orlando but then signed a guaranteed deal with the Spurs as things were wrapping up Florida.
- 76ers at Nets - Boxscore - NBA.com
- Sixers vs. Nets (Video) - NBA.com
- Hollis-Jefferson Block (Video) - NBA.com
- Tokoto Slam (Video) - NBA.com
- Summer League: Nets vs. 76ers (Gallery) - Brooklyn Nets
- Nets are giving this journeyman D-Leaguer a serious look - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Boatright proving he belongs with Nets - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Nets Rookie on Being Traded on Draft Night and Mikhail Prokhorov's AK-47 (Video) - Ric Bucher - Bleacher Report
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of Las Vegas Summer League Day 6 - Stephen Babb - Bleacher Report
- News, notes for Summer League Wednesday: Willie Cauley-Stein active, still learning NBA game - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
Hollis-Jefferson Models Free Throw ‘Shimmy’ After Durant - Jessica Camerato - Basketball Insiders