After the Nets lost in Game 1, and both pundits and fans wondered why Brook Lopez took only, seven shots (making six), there was a lot of talk about feeding the beast in Game 2.
"We're going to try to get Brook more shots, but that's the game of cat-and-mouse," Lionel Hollins said after a three-hour long practice and video session. But he said little else and was, as Stefan Bondy put it, "understandably coy" about details. Both Deron Williams and Joe Johnson admitted they need to do better.
Following the Nets 99-92 loss, there was a lot of second guessing, led by Isiah Thomas and Rick Fox.
"Their reluctance to throw the ball inside baffles me," Thomas said. "As a big man playing for the Brooklyn Nets, I would be so upset with the guards. The big man should go into the locker room and there should be a fight with the little guard. He should grab that little guard and throw him up on the floor and say, 'Next time, when I'm open, throw me the ball in the paint.'"
It's not in Lopez's nature to throw things or people, but the stats (and they're not even deep stats) show how effective the Nets are when Lopez gets 20 or more shots. Since the all-Star break, as our Anthony Puccio points out, the Nets are 7-0 with wins over the likes of Washington, Portland, Toronto, Milwaukee and Golden State.
Lopez, in fact, gave the best description of the Nets strategy.
"We game-planned against the way they'd adjust to our pick-and-roll offense, so we were meaning to swing the ball and get it away from where they were clogging the lane," he said.
It's possible that the Nets could have a real opportunity if they do feed Lopez. Al Horford, who injured his pinkie, may not play Wednesday. At least what he says now, suggesting there's "some question" as to whether or not he’ll able to play with the right pinkie finger. The Nets, however, weren't taking the bait. "You’re trying to trick me right now," Lopez said.
The Nets could have some reinforcements Wednesday. It's possible, if not likely, that Mirza Teletovic, could return. He practiced again Monday and according to those who saw the end of the session, looked good.
- Nets look to get Brook Lopez going - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets Must Feed Lopez the Ball for a Fighting Chance - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
- Nets Insider: Brook Lopez to get more looks in Game 2 - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets coach Lionel Hollins not losing sleep over Kyle Korver - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Side Plots for Hawks as They Navigate Playoffs: Arrests and Injury - Andrew Keh - New York Times
- It’s N.B.A. Playoff Time. Pay No Attention to Those Losing Records - Victor Mather - New York Times
- Nets focus on stopping three-point success of Hawks' Kyle Korver - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets, Brook Lopez getting away from what got them to playoffs - Tim Bontemps - New Yoirk Post
- Why playoffs are ‘no big deal’ for Nets’ Bogdanovic - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets coach Lionel Hollins not too worried about Hawks' Kyle Korver - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Nets notes: Brook Lopez not a fighting man - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Horford's injury the latest for the Atlanta Hawks as the prepare for Game 2 against the Brooklyn Nets - Paul Newberry - AP
- Bojan Bodganovic hopes to keep his year-end surge going into his first postseason - Lou DiPietro - YES Network
- Mirza Teletovic Could Return For Nets Vs. Hawks - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- 4 Things Brooklyn Nets Must Improve In Game 2 Vs. Hawks - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Al Horford's status undecided for Game 2 - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets Making Adjustments For Game 2 - Lenn Robbins - Brooklyn Nets
- Nets want no part of Horford, Hawks’ injury speculation - Sekou Smith - NBA.com
- Hawks get what they need from 'Junk Yard Dog' - Sekou Smith - NBA.com
Hawks-Nets Game 2 Preview with Isiah Thomas and Rick Fox (Video) - NBA.com
- Millsap trying to cope with shoulder injury - Chris Vivlamore - Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Hawks scrap T-shirts with missing name - Chris Vivlamore - Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Millsap, Sefolosha, Horford — what’s going on with Hawks? - Jeff Schultz - Atlanta Journal-Constitution