Wasn't this supposed to be a dull trade deadline for the Nets?
In the latest rumor, Marc Stein reports that the Timberwolves want to bring Kevin Garnett home to Minnesota, where he played the first dozen years of his career, and are offering Thaddeus Young. KG of course has a no-trade clause and would have to agree. He has insisted in recent weeks that he is "all-in" with the Nets' playoff run. But Garnett has also spoken recently of buying into the Timberwolves ownership.
Going online now: ESPN sources say Wolves making late push before trade deadline to bring home Wolves legend Kevin Garnett in trade w/Nets— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) February 19, 2015
ESPN sources say Wolves and Nets have discussed deal to send Thad Young to Brooklyn in exchange for KG ... who of course has no-trade clause— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) February 19, 2015
But even if this trade doesn't come to fruition, KG has already made it clear (through @SpearsNBAYahoo) that he hopes to BUY Wolves someday— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) February 19, 2015
Early Thursday, Adrian Wojnarowski reported the 38-year-old has ruled out a buyou but will consider the trade scenario.
Minnesota broadcaster Darren Wolfson says he's not sure KG wants to be traded, but the T-Wolves want him back.
To the masses: The word on KG as recently as days ago was that he wouldn't waive his no-trade. But would the #Twolves love him back? Surely.— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) February 19, 2015
And as Jon Krawczynski of AP notes...
KG has all the power here. He has a no-trade and he's notoriously resistant to change. Ball is in his court.— Jon Krawczynski (@APkrawczynski) February 19, 2015
Chris Mannix of SI believes Garnett is unlikely to go along with the plan...
'Wolves make some sense for KG, as ESPN reported, but sense in Brooklyn is that he would not waive his no-trade to go back there now.— Chris Mannix (@ChrisMannixSI) February 19, 2015
Although KG has a great relationship with Flip Saunders, who is coach, GM and minority owner, his relationship with T-Wolves owner Glen Taylor has not been warm. As Jerry Zgoda, the long time beat writer for the Minneapolis Star- Tribune tweets.
Re: Wolves-Nets' KG/Thad trade (first by @ESPNSteinLine): KG would have to approve deal & put aside any bitter feelings toward Glen Taylor— Jerry Zgoda (@JerryZgoda) February 19, 2015
The Nets were reportedly interested in Young earlier this month. According to that rumor, the Nets would have received Kendrick Perkins in a three-way deal with Oklahoma City and Charlotte, then slipped him for Young. Minnesota is looking to dump Young for an expiring deal. Young has a $10 million player option for next year,
The 6'8" Young is averaging 14.3 points, 5.1 rebounds in 33 minutes, shooting 45.1 percent overall and 29.2 from three, both below his career averages. He's 26 years old, 12 years younger than Garnett. He was drafted by Billy King in 2007.
Young has started to play much better since Ricky Rubio, Nikola Pekovic and Kevin Martin returned from long injury absences. He is also a trusted veteran and valued voice in the locker room. The T-Wolves gave up a first round pick, Alexey Shved and Luc Mbah a Moute for Young last summer
- Minnesota Timberwolves interested in re-acquiring Kevin Garnett - Marc Stein - ESPN
- Report: Timberwolves Trying to Bring Kevin Garnett Back to Minnesota - Eric in Madison - Canis Hoops
- The Timberwolves are reportedly trying to bring Kevin Garnett back - Jason Patt - SB Nation
- Wolves discussing trade with Nets to bring Garnett - Jerry Zgoda - Minneapolis Star-Tribune
- AP Source: Wolves, Nets discussing Kevin Garnett trade - Jon Krawczynski - AP
- Wolves appear willing to pay the price to bring KG home a Timberwolves - Judd Zulgad - ESPN Radio 1500
- Timberwolves trade deadline series: Thaddeus Young - Derek James - ESPN Radio 1500
- Wolves Trying To Bring Garnett Back - KTSP
- Nets and Timberwolves talking Kevin Garnett trade: reports - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Report: Timberwolves want to bring Kevin Garnett back to Minnesota - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Report: Timberwolves in trade talks with Nets to bring Kevin Garnett back - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- NBA trade rumors: Nets have talked Kevin Garnett, Thaddeus Young deal with Timberwolves - Charles Curtis - NJ.com