BROOKLYN, N.Y. -- A win is a win, no matter whom it's against and how it happens. But boy, this one was ugly.
For Brooklyn, this was a game they needed to win against the one-win 76ers. They beat them on Jewish Heritage Night, 100-91, behind a big fourth quarter offensive performance from Andreea Bargnani.
The Nets are now 7-15 on the season and have won their second straight game and sixth of their last seven at home.
The Sixers missed their first 16 three-pointers and trailed by as many as 16 in the first half. The Nets held them to 13 points in the first quarter, a season-low for Brooklyn this season, but Philly answered with a 31-point quarter in the second and a 30-point third quarter.
Brook Lopez watched most of the game due to foul trouble. Without him, the Nets struggled to do just about everything required from a decent basketball team.
Andrea Bargnani and the backup unit failed to help on defensive breakdowns, enabling Philly to drive in the lane at will with 52 points scored in the paint. If it wasn't that, the Nets were caught in no-mans land by failing to box out. It was ugly and they trailed 74-70 heading into the fourth.
So much for that 16-point lead.
However, the Nets didn't fold and it was behind the lead of an unlikely hero: Andrea Bargnani. In his return to action, Bargnani scored 13 of his 23 points in the fourth quarter and helped the Nets pull away with Lopez on the bench. Shane Larkin also chipped in eight points in the fourth and finished with 14 points and six assists.
The outscored Philly 30-17 in the final 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, Brook Lopez didn't play for the final 5:25 of this game. He finished with seven points and seven rebounds, but the five fouls were essentially the difference maker in his night.
Larkin's activity on defense, along with his ability to penetrate and kick has been key to the Nets finding better quality shots. They finished the night 6-of-14 from three and 50 percent overall.
Thaddeus Young scored 14 of his 18 points in the first half. He also grabbed 11 rebounds, which gave him his 11th double-double of the season.
Joe Johnson, the hero in Tuesday nights 110-105 victory over the Rockets, was held to just seven points. Back to the Joe we're used to seeing this season, unfortunately. His counterpart, Bojan Bogdanovic, scored 10 points on 4-of-7 shooting.
Only two Nets starters finished in double figures.
The Nets committed 19 turnovers, but their defense was bailed out with the Sixers shooting 4-for-31 from three. Jahlil Okafor led the way for Philly with 22 points and 10 rebounds.
Up next: Los Angeles Clippers, Saturday at 5PM.
For more on the Philadelphia 76ers, check them out at Liberty Ballers.
- Philadelphia 76ers vs Brooklyn Nets - Boxscore - NBA.com
- Game Thread: Brooklyn Nets vs. Philadelphia 76ers, 7:30 PM - NetsDaily
- 2nd Half Game Thread: 76ers at Nets - NetsDaily
- Bargnani scores 23 points, leads Nets past Sixers, 100-91 - AP
- Sixers vs. Nets (Video) - NBA.com
- Assist of the Night: Shane Larkin (Video) - NBA.com
- Okafor Tip-In (Video) - NBA.com
- Young Spin Move And-One (Video) - NBA.com
- Larkin Coast-To-Coast (Video) - NBA.com
- Larkin No-Look To Young (Video) - NBA.com
- Holmes Slam From Stauskas (Video) - NBA.com
- Hollins on fourth-quarter success in win vs. Sixers (Video) - YES Network
- Young on important bench scoring and execution (Video) - YES Network
- Hollins on matchup vs. Sixers (Video) - YES Network
- Larkin on confidence from teammates (Video) - YES Network
- Lopez on foul trouble, win against Sixers (Video) - YES Network
- Ex-Knicks Bargnani and Larkin save Nets from unthinkable loss - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Nets comically spoil Jewish Night with T-shirt misspelling - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Bargnani scores 23 points, leads Nets past Sixers, 100-91 - Chris Chiusano - New York Daily News
- Andrea Bargnani, Shane Larkin bail Nets out against lowly 76ers - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets defeat Sixers, 100-91 - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Nets notes: 76ers coach backs Jahlil Okafor - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Nets win but lowly 76ers make it interesting - Laura Albanese - Newsday
- Nets Beat 76ers. Hava Nagila? (Game Grades) - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Bench gives Nets reasons for optimism - Greg Hrinya - Examiner.com
- Andrea Bargnani Is Nets’ MVP — And Most Vexing Player - Steve Lichtenstein - CBS New York
- Rough effort from three-point range costs Sixers in loss to Nets - John Finger - Comcast Sports Net
- Report: Sixers owners looking to run NFL team in London - Bob Cooney - Philadelphia Daily News
- Sixers call Forbes report 'inaccurate and not true' - Keith Pompey - Philadelphia Inquirer
- Sixers blow another fourth-quarter lead - Keith Pompey - Philadelphia Inquirer
- Best and Worst awards: Sixers vs. Nets - Keith Pompey - Philadelphia Inquirer
- Bargnani Scores 23, Nets beat 76ers 100-91 - Cory Wright - Brooklyn Nets