It's not rare that an NBA player buys his mother a house not long after he signs his first NBA contract. It's often their top priority. But it is rare to have a first-hand account of the moment when mom realizes what's happening, in the player's own words and on video..
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson wrote about that special moment in his rookie diary, which is published in the Post every weekend. It was his mom's birthday Friday night....
"[E]veryone popped out and said, "Surprise!" and me and my brother had the cake, and she just started crying. To actually be able to show her the house and stuff on her birthday, it was a dream come true. It was a blessing.
"She said it was her best birthday ever. That’s huge for me and my brother, and my uncle, who is like a brother to us. … That’s big in our eyes, to be able to do that. Being able to change your mom’s life, to be able to put her in a comfortable situation. … It makes that feeling in your heart go to ease.
"Instead of worrying about where your mom is going, what she’s doing, it puts you at ease knowing she has a place of her own, and that she has somewhere to lay her head at night. It’s pretty special."
And it was captured and posted on YouTube, produced by MrBizness Productions. As he says in the video, his voice just above a tremble, "It's every kid's dream to one day get their mom out of the situation that they're in. It's very touching for us to be able to do it."
Rylanda Hollis wasn't the only one who cried. The realtor broke down when RHJ told her why he was buying the house She even supplied the cake. Hollis-Jefferson didn't say where the house is, but he, his mom and his siblings grew up in Chester, PA, outside of Philly, a high-crime, high-poverty city that's seen better days. No doubt, it's close enough so her "commute" to Barclays Center won't be too taxing.
Hollis-Jefferson also wrote about Wednesday night, tempering his expectations but hoping for the best.
"I don’t know how things are going to go. I don’t know if I’m going to play against Chicago. But I know I’m working every day to have a chance to compete out there. I’m just taking it one day at a time, and when that day comes wish for the best."
We think he'll play. But he won on Friday night.
- Nets’ rookie stars in own version of Momma’s House - Rondae Hollis-Jefferson - New York Post
- SEE IT: Nets rookie surprises mom with home for her birthday - Amara Grautski - New York Daily News
Hollis-Jefferson surprises mom with new home - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Hollis-Jefferson surprised his mother with a house for her birthday - Benny Nadeau - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets rookie surprises mom with a house, catches emotional moment on film - Alysha Tsuji - SB Nation
- Nets’ Rondae Hollis-Jefferson buys his mother a house - Extra Mustard - Sports Illustrated
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson surprises his mom with a birthday cake and also a new house (Video) - Kelly Dwyer - Yahoo! Sports