The Nets and Lawrence Frank have reached an agreement of the former lead assistant's multi-year contract. Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated was first to report the news, tweeting...
The Nets have reached an agreement on a buyout with former assistant coach Lawrence Frank, per source.— Chris Mannix (@ChrisMannixSI) September 25, 2014
Frank will now join Doc Rivers staff in Los Angeles. Earlier Thursday, Dan Woike, who covers the Clippers for the Orange Country Register, had tweeted...
Expect the #Clippers to announce Mike Woodson, Sam Cassell and Lawrence Frank as assistant coaches in upcoming days.— Dan Woike (@DanWoikeSports) September 25, 2014
Late Thursday, Andy Miller, Frank's long-time agent, made it official.
Woike and ESPN's Arash Markazi both previously reported that the Clippers would not announce their assistant coaching staff additions until Frank got out of his contract with Brooklyn. Frank was famously "reassigned" to writing daily reports by Jason Kidd early last season following at least one angry outburst between head coach and lead assistant, one famously involving Kidd's use of a 13-letter word. The Nets at that point were struggling mightily.
The re-assignment was an embarrassment by both team ownership and management because of Frank's lucrative contract, then the biggest for an NBA assistant. An anonymous writer even began posting reports mimicking what Frank was asked to do. They stopped in January.
The Nets chose not to add Frank to Lionel Hollins staff this summer. In recent weeks, his name has fallen on the team's front office directory, from the position right under head coach to one below all of Hollins assistants and the team's strength and conditioning coach. As of Thursday morning, he was still listed there. It's hard to believe anyone wants the situation to continue into another season, particularly with Kidd long gone.
Frank has six-year, $6 million contract signed last summer. It reportedly includes performance bonuses, balloon payments and promise of a front office job in year five.
- Nets Buy Out Former Coach Lawrence Frank - Andrew Keh - New York Times
- Lawrence Frank, Brooklyn Nets reach buyout agreement - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
Frank Reaches Buyout With Nets, Heads To Clippers (Video) - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Lawrence Frank joins Clips' staff - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN LA
- Lawrence Frank and Nets agree to a buyout - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Source: Lawrence Frank, Nets reach buyout agreement - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Lawrence Frank’s tumultuous second stint with Nets ends - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Lawrence Frank, Nets reach buyout - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Frank, Nets agree to buyout; Coach will leave for LA - Brian Erni -SNY Nets
- Lawrence Frank, Nets Reach Buyout - Ryan Carbain - The Brooklyn Game
- Reports: Nets buy out Lawrence Frank, who is expected to join Clippers - James Herbert - CBS Sports
- Nets reportedly reach buyout agreement with Lawrence Frank - FOX Sports