At Deron Williams' Dodge Barrage event in New York City Monday afternoon, Lionel Hollins meet with the New York media and dropped a bombshell about the Nets' starting lineup this season.
Nearly two weeks before training camp gets underway, the head coach told reporters that Kevin Garnett will be the team's starting power forward this season. KG has started 1,482 consecutive games in the NBA.
Lionel Hollins says Kevin Garnett is going to start at power forward this season.
— Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) September 15, 2014
Hollins also gave a hint to how many minutes the big man can play this year.
Nets coach Lionel Hollins says Kevin Garnett will start this season and if healthy he will play more than 15-16 mins a game— Ohm Youngmisuk (@NotoriousOHM) September 15, 2014
Why? The answer was simple, said Hollins.
Lionel Hollins says KG is his starting PF. "He's earned that right."— devin kharpertian (@uuords) September 15, 2014
And what about all talk of KG retiring?
"You're either pregnant or you're not pregnant," Nets coach Lionel Hollins said.— Andrew Keh (@andrewkeh) September 15, 2014
Here's what he said specifically...
"If he's healthy, and producing, he's going to play," Hollins said. "How many minutes? I don't know. But he is not going to play 15 or 16 minutes. I can guarantee you that.
"There is nobody in the gym that I would put in his place. He has earned the right to have that opportunity to be the starter from Day One. Somebody has to knock him out, it's got to be like a heavyweight fight. I don't really see that happening.
"He looks good. He looks in great shape, shooting the ball extremely well," added Hollins. "He’s working. I would assume that if in fact it is his last year, he would want to make it his best."
Many fans are skeptical about the idea of Garnett starting due to his age and limitations on the floor last season. Garnett struggled defending power forwards before the injury to Brook Lopez moved him to center.
Also, the rise of Mason Plumlee over the offseason led many to believe that he could be the starter or play a lot of minutes. Garnett seemed capable of playing minimal minutes last season in Jason Kidd's system. KG played a little more than 20 minutes per game last year, and rarely played back-to-backs.
- Kevin Garnett of Brooklyn Nets to start at power forward if healthy - Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN New York
- D-Will surprised by Kidd's departure - Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN New York
- Kirilenko: Starter or bench, I'm not worried - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- After two injury-plagued seasons, Nets' Deron Williams says he's healthy - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Deron Williams optimistic for Nets season while recovering from ankle surgeries - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets coach Lionel Hollins expects Kevin Garnett back in Brooklyn as starting power forward - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- For Nets’ Deron Williams, Ankle Operations Provide Reason for Optimism - Andrew Keh - New York Times
- Hollins: Garnett is Nets’ starting power forward - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets’ Deron Williams says ankles finally feel good - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Lionel Hollins: Kevin Garnett is my starting power forward - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Deron Williams, other Nets haven't spoken with Jason Kidd - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets coach says Kevin Garnett will play this season, start in Brooklyn - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Lionel Hollins says Kevin Garnett will start at power forward - Matt Moore - CBS Sports
- Kevin Garnett Will Start And Play Significant Minutes For Nets If Healthy - Tom Winter - DIME
- Lionel Hollins ends any doubts about Kevin Garnett's plans, says Garnett will start at power forward for Brooklyn Nets this season - Jay King - Springfield Republican
- NBA Star Andrei Kirilenko Opens Up About Burglary -- I'm Most Upset About ...- TMZ Sports