Deron Williams' Point of Hope Foundation held its annual DodgeBarrage charity event at Basketball City, this year's proceeds going to autism research, a personal issue for the Nets point guard. But beforehand, all the talk was about the Nets, as beat writers spoke with him and his guests, many of whom had spent the day at the Nets practice facility across the Hudson.
It was all upbeat and there was some news from Lionel Hollins, big news as well as "big" news.
Nets coach Lionel Hollins says Kevin Garnett will start this season and if healthy he will play more than 15-16 mins a game— Ohm Youngmisuk (@NotoriousOHM) September 15, 2014
KG wasn't on hand early, but a lot of his teammates were.
The man of the hour said he's raring to go.
A lean and trim Deron. Said he feels good physically and is ready for camp. pic.twitter.com/eOQ55HSU4I— Rod Boone (@rodboone) September 15, 2014
Sergey Karasev disclosed who's been at camp
Sergey Karasev says that everyone except for Plumlee, Gutierrez, Bogdanovic and Johnson has been working out at the Nets facility recently.— Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) September 15, 2014
Latest to arrive was Jarrett Jack.
Jarrett Jack said he just arrived in NYC today from ATL. Said he's hopeful to get in the gym at #Nets facility in Jersey tonight.— Rod Boone (@rodboone) September 15, 2014
And he had the most optimistic comment of the day.
Jarrett Jack on if Deron can get back to his old level of play with #Jazz in Utah: "Deron is an elite player in this league."— Rod Boone (@rodboone) September 15, 2014
Andrei Kirilenko revealed one thing that's motivating him, his Russian Olympic teammate.
Andrei Kirilenko on Sergey Karasev: "He's like my little son."— Stefan Bondy (@nydninternets) September 15, 2014
D-Will also admitted he and his old coach/friend are no longer that close.
It's notable that Deron Williams said he hasn't spoken to Jason Kidd since his former coach left for Bucks. Two were very close at one point— Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) September 15, 2014
There was a surprise guest as well, fresh from Spain and carrying gold.
- Deron Williams optimistic for Nets season while recovering from ankle surgeries - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- D-Will surprised by Kidd's departure - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets’ Deron Williams says ankles finally feel good - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- For Nets’ Deron Williams, Ankle Operations Provide Reason for Optimism - Andrew Keh - New York Times
- D-Will surprised by Kidd's departure - Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN New York
- Burning Q's: Who's the most vital sub? - Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN New York
- Mason Plumlee, world champion - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Kirilenko: Starter or bench, I'm not worried - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Deron Williams, other Nets haven't spoken with Jason Kidd - Devin Kharpertian - Brooklyn Game
- NBA Star Andrei Kirilenko Opens Up About Burglary -- I'm Most Upset About ... - TMZ Sports