Mason Plumlee looked like a man among boys at the Orlando Summer League Saturday, scoring 23 points and grabbing seven rebounds in 24 minutes, shooting 8-of-11 from the floor, showing off a sky hook, and 7-of-10 from the line. He also had three steals.
Also looking good for the Nets were Markel Brown, the Nets highest draft pick who showed a deft passing touch as well as solid defense, and Adonis Thomas, the 6'6" Springfield Armor star. Brown finished with nine points on 4-of-8 shooting. Thomas played only 16 minutes, sporting a bandage over his left eye. Brown led the Nets in minutes with 26 and picked up five fouls.
Marquis Teague had trouble finishing but still had 14 points and six assists. Jorge Gutierrez who provided a steadying influence when the Pacers made a run in the third, had eight and three. He and Thomas led the team with a +17. The other NBA vets, Donte Greene and DaJuan Summers, finished with 13 and 12. As for the players the Nets drafted with the last two picks of the 2014 Draft, Xavier Thames and Cory Jefferson, the 6'9" Jefferson looked better, leading the Nets with nine rebounds in 16 minutes.
After the game, Plumlee told reporters he was shocked by Jason Kidd's departure.
The Nets dominated early, getting out to a 32-point lead in the first half, running and defending. They outscored Indiana 19-3 in fast break points in the half. The Pacers made a bit of a run, but the Nets never let the lead drop to less than 18 in the second half. The team was coached by John Welch, with Roy Rogers and Jim Sann assisting him. Jason Kidd hopes to convince Welch to join him in Milwaukee.
The Nets will next play Sunday at 7 p.m. ET vs. the Heat.
- Nets at Pacers - July 5, 2014 - NBA.com
- Teague's And-one Bucket (Video) - NBA.com
- Hustle Play (Video) - NBA.com
- Markel Brown Gets It Started (Video) - NBA.com
- At Summer League, Nets react to Kidd’s departure - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Plumlee plucks Pacers in Summer opener - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- NBA summer league: Mason Plumlee dominates for Nets in win over Pacers - Eliot Shorr-Parks - Star-Ledger
- Summer League: Mason Plumlee on Kidd’s Departure (Video) - Basketball Insiders
- Summer League: Teague Carving his Niche (Video) - Basketball Insiders
- Summer League: Studs & Duds Day 1 - Basketball Insiders
- Nets dominate opening Summer League game, 101-81 - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Former Syracuse forward Donte Greene scores 13 points in NBA Summer League debut with Brooklyn - Mike Waters - Syracuse Post Standard