The Brooklyn Nets are going to be sitting down and meeting with former Memphis Grizzlies head coach Lionel Hollins this week, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports. Hollins is said to be the team's top target to replace Jason Kidd as the next coach of the Brooklyn Nets.
Brooklyn has set a meeting with its top coaching target, Lionel Hollins, league sources tell Yahoo. Sides will sit down in next 24-48 hours.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) June 30, 2014
Sam Amick said the Nets are sending a plane for Hollins ... and noted that another team also is interested..
As the Nets plan to fly frontrunner Lionel Hollins into Brooklyn in the next day or two, I'm told Lakers are showing a revived interest.
— Sam Amick (@sam_amick) June 30, 2014
Personally, I spent over two years covering the Memphis Grizzlies for SB Nation, so I've gotten this question many, many times over the past 24 hours: How would Hollins fit as the Nets' head coach?
Well, last May I wrote a piece about Hollins as a possible candidate for the position prior to Jason Kidd taking the job. Sure, the personnel is and very well could be much different next season, but the general sentiment is the same.
From his system, to his relationship with players, to his grooming of Mike Conley and Marc Gasol, along with his botching of the O.J. Mayo situation. I touched on it all.
We'll continue to keep an ear open, but as of now it seems as if the Nets are keying in on Hollins and a few other coaches, some of who are still at the collegiate level. One thing is clear, they're looking to go in a much different direction from Jason Kidd, which is and isn't Lionel Hollins.
More on that, later.
- Would Lionel Hollins be a good fit in Brooklyn? - Tom Lorenzo - NetsDaily
- Lionel Hollins early candidate if Jason Kidd leaves Nets - Jeff Zillgitt - USA Today
- Lakers show revived interest in Lionel Hollins - Sam Amick - USA Today
- 5 candidates to replace Jason Kidd as Nets coach - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
Brooklyn Nets to meet with Lionel Hollins in search to replace Jason Kidd - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Possible replacements for Jason Kidd - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Report: Nets to meet with Lionel Hollins - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game