Here's the latest in Jason Kidd controversy, as the Nets and Bucks discuss compensation for Kidd's proposed move to Milwaukee as president of basketball operations, following his failure to secure the same job with the Nets.
League sources tell NetsDaily...
--There is no deal among Nets, Kidd and Bucks as of late Saturday. The Nets will not fire Kidd but his days with the Nets are over. There is deep bitterness in Nets ownership camp about how Kidd has treated them after they gave him a job despite having no coaching experience whatsoever ... and a checkered past.
--The Bucks have rejected the Nets' first demand in talks to provide the Nets with compensation for his departure. The Nets wanted a first round pick. Over next four drafts, the Bucks have four first rounders, all their own, and six second rounders, four of their own and two protected, one from the Kings and one from the Clippers and Kings.
--With free agency looming, and decisions on Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Shaun Livingston on the table, Bucks ownership believes it has the leverage in talks. The overnight publicity may have lessened that leverage, some believe.
--The Nets discussions about a replacement for Kidd as head coach are in their infancy. Former Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins and at least two college coaches, both with championship resumes --and long-term contracts, are in the mix. Neither of the college coaches is John Calipari. Once the situation with Kidd is resolved, expect discussions to increase in intensity.
--Kidd's reassignment of Lawrence Frank was the first break between ownership and management on one side and Kidd on the other. Kidd while not directly involved in the negotiations that led to Frank's huge salary pressed for his hiring. It still stings not just because of the $1 million per year salary (and bonuses) but because of the embarrassment factor.
--One of the final straws for Nets ownership came when Kidd advocated for a trade with the Bucks that would sent Brook Lopez and Mirza Teletovic to Milwaukee for the deeply troubled Larry Sanders and Ersan Ilyasova. The suggestion, mostly about Kidd's belief that Lopez couldn't fit in his system, was considered and rejected by the Nets brass.
--Kidd was angered by the Nets decision to trade for Marcus Thornton rather than Jarrett Jack, who he believed would have been a better fit. Nets ownership believe that Kidd's ultimate ambition was to dump Billy King, with whom ownership remains quite satisfied. Kidd believes that King and Nets ownership do not have a long term plan and are too opportunistic.
--Kidd was offended when Steve Kerr and Derek Fisher were given contracts twice as lucrative as his, but he was also, and perhaps more, offended by the Clippers decision, post-Donald Sterling, to give more personnel control to Doc Rivers.
--Nets were offended by Kidd having his agent, Jeff Schwartz, seek permission from ownership to talk with other teams. They would have preferred the Bucks new ownership, led by Kidd confidante and Nets minority investor Marc Lasry, contact them directly.
How soon will it be resolved? Think more days than weeks.
- Jason Kidd in talks to run Bucks' basketball operations after failed power play with Nets - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- Nets are better off without Jason Kidd - Mitch Lawrence - New York Daily News
- Jason Kidd may look bad now, but leaving Nets could be best move for him - Mike Lupica - New York Daily News
- Jason Kidd Expected to Leave as Nets Head Coach - Andrew Keh - New York Times
- Jason Kidd granted permission to speak with Milwaukee Bucks after being denied promotion by Brooklyn Nets - Marc Stein & Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN
- Will Kidd's abrupt exit tarnish his legacy? - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Win-now Nets need a win-now coach - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Rapid Reaction: Brooklyn Nets deny Jason Kidd promotion - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Jason Kidd leaves the Brooklyn Nets just as he found them - Ian O'Connor - ESPN New York
- Nets Allowing Kidd to Speak With Bucks - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
- Jason Kidd reportedly loses power struggle, may ditch Nets for Bucks - Les Bieler - Washington Post
- Don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya, Jason - Brian Erni - SNY Nets
- Brooklyn Nets Coaching Candidates: If Jason Kidd's Out, Who's In? - Benny Nadeau - The Brooklyn Game
- Jason Kidd wanted all the marshmallows - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
Report: EVERYTHING HAS GONE INSANE - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Report: Jason Kidd has permission to speak with Bucks - Charles F. Gardner - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Will Bucks get more than big name in Kidd? - Charles F. Gardner - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Jason Kidd Could Cash In On Ballmer's $2 Billion Bid For Clippers If He Bolts To Milwaukee - Mike Ozanian - Forbes
- Messina and Hollins serious candidates for Nets head coaching job - Emilio Carchia - Sportando
- Jason Kidd: On the outs in Brooklyn, Milwaukee could be next stop - Ray Slover - Sporting News