Billy King did everything but say Kevin Garnett is in camp Wednesday, sealing the books on a story that many thought wouldn't happen: KG is not retiring, not leaving $12 million on the table. but will instead play again next season, his 20th in the NBA. Garnett will become on the fourth player in NBA history to hit the 20 year mark, joining Kevin Willis, Robert Parrish and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
"Yes," Billy King said when asked if he believes Kevin Garnett will be able to play at a high level next season. "I think he's preparing earlier this year than he did last summer." King's comments all but ended speculation about KG's return.
Garnett, in mostly a back-up role last season, averaged only six points and six rebounds in a little more than 20 minutes per game, a career low. While there had been some speculation that KG could retire --and ask for $6 million as a contract buyout-- Tim Bontemps, Chris Mannix and Marc Stein all wrote before today's news that the seven-footer was leaning towards staying in Brooklyn.
King has said he wants as much continuity as possible and with Garnett and Andrei Kirilenko now comfortably back in the fold, the Nets GM moves on to re-signing Paul Pierce and Shaun Livingston.
"I will know come July 1," King told Nets writers Wednesday. "That is when everybody can start making offers and you get a feel for where the market is going to be. Right now you can speculate and have ideas of who may pay and what they may do but you don't know what somebody may do in the draft, make a trade."
- Kevin Garnett of Brooklyn Nets preparing to return next season - Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN New York
- Report: Kevin Garnett plans to return next season - James Herbert - CBS Sports
- Report: No punching this Big Ticket yet - Steve Aschburner - NBA.com
- Minus draft picks, host Nets focus on free agents - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets likely to acquire draft pick - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Brooklyn Nets left out of 2014 NBA draft after bringing in high-priced stars last offseason - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- After 2 Summer Upheavals, Brooklyn Nets Choked By NBA Cap - Steve Lichtenstein - WFAN
- Nets, without draft pick, look for diamond in the rough - Jason Schott - Brooklyn Fans
King: Garnett preparing to play next year - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game