Late Thursday afternoon, Billy King announced that Deron Williams will undergo surgery on both of his ankles next week. Williams, who has dealt with ankle injuries since the Nets moved to Brooklyn, hasn't been 100% in either season. The surgery will be performed by Dr. Martin O'Malley. Williams said last week he anticipated he would need surgery. He underwent an MRI on Friday and was scheduled to talk with O'Malley Monday
"Deron will undergo surgery on both ankles next Tuesday," said Dr. O’Malley. "He will have a bone chip removed from his right ankle, and the left ankle will have an arthroscopic cleanout with removal of spurs from both the front and back of the ankle. Deron is expected to make a full recovery."
"I feel like I've kind of let people down, so I don't like feeling like that," Williams said the day after the Nets final game. "I take my job seriously, I work hard in the offseason, I work hard every day. It's just real frustrating not to be able to play how I'm capable of playing."
O'Malley also was part of the Nets surgical team on Brook Lopez's foot and ankle surgeries, having been part of Lopez's foot reconstruction in January and and his ankle ligament surgery in March. That involved tightening the lateral ankle ligaments as well as repairing a torn tendon in Lopez's left ankle.
A prognosis on Williams return won't be made until the surgery is complete. By doing the surgery this early in the off season, Williams will have four months to recover and rehab his troublesome ankles. Jeff Stotts of In Street Clothes wrote in January of D-Will's ankle woes, which go back to his rookie year in Utah.
As for Lopez, he was expected to lose the "air cast" on his left ankle and should start running soon.
- Deron Williams of Brooklyn Nets will have surgery on both ankles - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
Where does Deron Williams go from here? - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Deron Williams getting surgery on both ankles - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets' Williams to have surgery on both ankles - AP
- Nets’ Deron Williams to Have Ankle Surgery - Andrew Keh - New York Times
- Nets’ Deron Williams to undergo dual ankle surgery - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Deron set for ankle surgery Tuesday - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets' Deron Williams Slated for Surgery on Both Ankles - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
- Nets' Deron Williams to undergo surgery on both ankles - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Deron Williams will undergo surgery on both ankles next week - Brian Erni - SNY Nets
- Deron Williams will have surgery - Max Weisberg - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets’ Deron Williams to have surgery on both ankles next Tuesday - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Brooklyn Nets point guard Deron Williams to undergo surgery on both of his troublesome ankles - Dan Devine - Yahoo! Sports