Jason Kidd had an agenda when he got on the phone with beat writers Thursday morning. It was all about one stat he chose to emphasize: Joe Johnson took 23 shots Wednesday night but only one free throw. How's that happened, he wondered.
Jason Kidd said the lack of calls and free throws for Joe Johnson were "mind-boggling."— Stefan Bondy (@NYDNInterNets) May 1, 2014
He also suggested that perhaps the Raptors, in the person of Kyle Lowry, could serve as an example for him to follow in Game 6.
"If flopping is the way to go, maybe we should play that game." -- Kidd— Stefan Bondy (@NYDNInterNets) May 1, 2014
And combined the two thoughts...
Kidd came in with agenda to get more respect from referees for Joe Johnson: "Joe is a strong individual. Unfortunately, he doesn't flop."— Stefan Bondy (@NYDNInterNets) May 1, 2014
Kidd also suggested there were other issues beyond Johnson...
Kidd on end of G5: "Shaun made a heck of a play to come up w/ rebound & get fouled right in front of Tom Washington, but no call was made."— Andy Vasquez (@andy_vasquez) May 1, 2014
Will it work? Tim Bontemps thinks it could
Jason Kidd is doing a masterful job of angling for calls for Joe Johnson, and the Nets overall, in Game 6.— Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) May 1, 2014
And Andy Vasquez thinks it already has in one way...
So instead of talking about a $190 million team on the brink of 1st round elimination, we're talking about the refs. Well played, Kidd.— Andy Vasquez (@andy_vasquez) May 1, 2014
For a lot of the playoffs, Raptors coaches and players have complained about a lack of calls. Now maybe Kidd can turn the tide (and avoid a fine.)
- Jason Kidd calls out officiating with Brooklyn Nets down 3-2 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Brooklyn Nets loss leaves Jason Kidd the biggest flopper of all - Ian O'Connor - ESPN New York
- Nets coach Jason Kidd calls out officials from Game 5 - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- For Nets and Raptors, No Point in Listening for Whistles - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
- Kidd blasts refs: Maybe we have to start flopping - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- As referee dementia goes viral, Brooklyn Nets coach Jason Kidd lobbies for whistles in Game 6 - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
- Jason Kidd hopes Nets get a fair shot on foul calls against Raptors in Game 6 - Neil Best - Newsday
- Nets coach Jason Kidd blasts referees following Game 5 loss to Raptors - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Kidd lashes out at officiating - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
Kidd's bleating about whistles is a bit unseemly - Doug Smith - Toronto Star