clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

In next to last game, Armor win over Delaware 87ers

Streeter Lecka

In their next to last game ... ever, the Springfield Armor defeated the Delaware 87ers, 124-114 in Newark, DL, Friday night.

Lorenzo Brown’s 28 points, 23 in the second half, helped power the Armor past the 87ers. Brown played for the 87ers as a Philly property earlier in the year. The 6'5" point guard shot 11-of-18 and handed out nine assists.  Devin Ebanks, back from a five-game drug suspension, added 21 points and Adonis Thomas finished with 20 points but shot only 8-of-20. Six Armor players scored in double-figures. Rodney Williams paced Delaware with 26 points.

The Armor play Delaware again Friday, then close up shop. The team, whose basketball operations have been run by the Nets for three years, has been sold and will begin 2015 in Grand Rapids, MI. as a Pistons affiliate.

Springfield fell behind by as many as 12 in the first quarter, but 11 points from Khalif Wyatt and a 7-2 run to close the frame pulled the Armor within one after 12 minutes, 30-29. The five Springfield starters accounted for all of the Armor’s scoring, while a 9-0 edge in second chance points kept the visitor’s close.

Wyatt was held scoreless in the second, but Ebanks stepped into the game for 12 points in the stanza. Delaware’s Thanasis Antetokounmpo dropped 10 of his 14 first half points in the second to keep the home team in front at the break, 61-58.

Two minutes into the third and the Armor had knotted the game at 62 before an 18-6 run over the next five minutes gave Springfield its largest lead of the evening at 80-68. The Sevens battled back to pull within one, but the Armor retained the lead for the remainder of the quarter, taking an 88-83 advantage into the fourth.

The story of the second half was former Seven and current Armor guard Lorenzo Brown who scored 23 of his game-high 28 points in the final two quarters.

With 8:04 to go, Delaware took its final lead of the night before Brown put Springfield back on top on the Armor’s very next possession. The lead reached as high as 12 during the final few minutes as the Armor held on for the 125-114 victory.