Brook Lopez is progressing well after straining his back a week ago. the Nets' big man is now conditioning to get back into basketball shape and will be re-evaluated by team doctors on Saturday, the team announced Monday afternoon.
#Nets update: Brook Lopez has entered the conditioning part of his rehabilitation process. He will be re-evaluated on Saturday, per team.
— Tom Lorenzo (@TomLorenzo) December 15, 2014
Lopez missed the Nets last four games, where the team went 2-2, and will now miss the next three games at the very least. Brooklyn has three tough games coming up too, at home against Miami, the following night in Toronto and a game Friday in Cleveland against LeBron James and the Cavaliers. There's no guarantee that he will be back and ready to play on Sunday.
Lopez said he doesn't know if he will be able to play Sunday against Detroit.— Mitchell Abramson (@nydnmabramson) December 15, 2014
His continued absence is likely to fuel more trade rumors, the most recent being a deal with Charlotte centered on him and Lance Stephenson. Lopez dismissed them.
Lopez doesn’t know how many trade rumors he’s been in since he came into the league. "I'm not good at counting. I can't count that high."— devin kharpertian (@uuords) December 15, 2014
The trade rumors and the Nets weekend success led to at least one joking exchange between team and media.
Deron asked, "Is this Brook bash day? What's going on?" I joked back, "No. That was Saturday."— Mike Mazzeo (@MazzESPN) December 15, 2014
Lopez is averaging 16 points and six rebounds this season for the Nets.
- Brook Lopez out for at least six days - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Brook Lopez: I'll go with flow - Mitch Abramson - New York Daily News
- Brook Lopez frustrated by latest ailment that's likely to cost him three more games - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Nets' Brook Lopez on the mend - Pete Caldera - The Record
- Brook Lopez to miss at least 3 more games - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets’ Lopez to Miss Three Games With Back Injury - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
Nets’ Brook Lopez still another three games away from return - Brian Lewis - New York Post