Interesting day Tuesday at Nets practice.
First, if you were wondering what Joe Johnson meant the other night when he tweeted this...
I'm off this shit!!— Joe Johnson 4real (@TheJoeJohnson7) November 9, 2014
...Wonder no more. We'll let the beats' tweets tell the tale...
Joe: "Guys kind of exhaust their options + when there's nothing else for them, they'll pass it. For the most part we have been very selfish"— Ohm Youngmisuk (@NotoriousOHM) November 11, 2014
Joe Johnson is not happy with the way the #Nets are playing, to put it mildly.— Alex Raskin (@alexraskinNYC) November 11, 2014
Johnson called Sunday's win over Orlando a "carbon copy" of the loss to Minnesota. Only difference was the final score. #nets— Alex Raskin (@alexraskinNYC) November 11, 2014
To reporters, Joe Johnson reiterated his frustration, indicating it was based in teammates' selfishness. And this is after 2 straight wins.— Stefan Bondy (@nydninternets) November 11, 2014
The Nets have won four-of-five and this is the most frustrated I've seen Joe Johnson as a Net. Only time it was close was early last season.— Andy Vasquez (@andy_vasquez) November 11, 2014
Johnson didn't pinpoint the blame on anyone for what he see's as "selfish" play, but it is clear that the Nets most stable player over the past three years is not happy. "It's just—as individuals, as players, that we all have each other's backs out there," Johnson said. "I just felt, I didn't believe it. I go back, and I watch the tape, and I watch film just to try to get a different perspective, and I mean, my feelings haven't changed."
The Nets offense has been clicking on all cylinders early on in the season, ranking inside the top three in points per possession, and the defense has been average, but Johnson has not been satisfied. "Defensively, we help from time to time," Johnson said. "Offensively, I just think guys kind of exhaust their options and then when there's nothing else for them, then they'll pass it when they have to. For the most part, we've been very selfish."
Johnson hasn't spoken to any individuals about this issue because the team is winning and it is early so he isn't sure that he will need to. This three-game road trip will be key for the Nets. "I don't know," Johnson said. "We'll see what happens. We'll see what happens the next few games, if we can be a better team on the road, because on the road, the coaches and the players is all you have to get you going. We'll see what happens."
Beyond the obvious, clearly laid out, is this: Joe Johnson is not the quiet, behind the scenes voice anymore. He wants a leadership.
And if that wasn't enough drama for the 4-2 Nets, there was this, as Lenn Robbins writes...
Before the first reporter could ask a question, Brooklyn Nets Coach Lionel Hollins said he wanted to make a statement.
He made one loud and clear.
"I was never mad at Brook [Lopez], upset or any other negative term,’’ Hollins said after practice on Tuesday.
I love New York!
- Joe Johnson frustrated with Brooklyn Nets, says team is playing 'selfish' - Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN New York
- Hollins: All good with Brook Lopez - Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN New York
- Joe Johnson is surprisingly livid with ‘very selfish’ Nets - Howie Kussoy - New York Post
- Joe Johnson goes off on ‘selfish’ Nets teammates - Mitch Abramson - New York Daily News
- Joe Johnson blasts teammates for selfishness - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Brook Lopez, Lionel Hollins downplay notion of conflict: "Literally, nothing happened" - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Joe Johnson criticizes Nets teammates for being selfish - Colin Stephenson - Newsday
- Nets' Joe Johnson wants to see improvement - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Nets to Face First Real Test on West Coast Trip - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
- Nets Coach Has No Issue With Lopez - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
Brooklyn's Passing Problem Is Brook Lopez - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Is Hollins’ tough love working for Brook Lopez? - Brian Erni - SNY Nets
- Despite 4-2 start, Joe Johnson blasts Nets for 'very selfish' play - Dan Devine - Yahoo! Sports
- Nets’ Joe Johnson rips teammates for ‘selfish’ play despite 4-2 start - Brett Pollakoff - NBC Sports
- Joe Johnson calls out Nets teammates: 'We've been very selfish' - James Herbert - CBS Sports
- Joe Johnson Annoyed Despite Brooklyn Nets’ Strong Start - Steve Lichtenstein - WFAN
- Brooklyn guard Joe Johnson frustrated with Nets 'selfish' play - Sports Illustrated
- Joe Johnson Says Nets Have "Been Very Selfish" Offensively Despite Success - Jack Winter - DIME
- Hollins Makes a Statement: He Backs Lopez - Lenn Robbins - Brooklyn Nets
Phoenix Suns' Gerald Green, Isaiah Thomas clicking - Paul Coro - Arizona Republic