It is official, Brook Lopez will miss the Nets season opener against the Boston Celtics Wednesday night. Lopez has been recovering from a mild foot sprain that he suffered in the Nets second game in China against the Sacramento Kings. Lopez was said to be out "10-14 days" and Wednesday marks day 13 in his recovery.
With Lopez out, Mason Plumlee will draw the start alongside Deron Williams, Bojan Bogdanovic, Joe Johnson, and Kevin Garnett. Billy King told the media that if Lopez couldn't go in Boston, he will be available Saturday in Detroit or Monday in the team's home opener against the Kevin Durant-less Thunder. Although, Lionel Hollins is pessimistic about Lopez's health.
One discouraging sign for Lopez: he's still feeling pain in his foot when "he goes hard," Hollins said.— Stefan Bondy (@nydninternets) October 29, 2014
In other comments Wednesday morning, Hollins was both circimspect and optimistic.
"I have no idea what progressing means. Is he pregnant, or not pregnant?" Hollins said. "He's not playing. He can't play. When he can play then he will have progressed the way I would like him to progress."
This has nothing to do with anything Brook's had in the past. Brook got stepped on. Somebody stepped on his foot," Hollins said. "It's a soft tissue issue, it has nothing to do with a bone.
"So all the conversation in the world about how to (manage it doesn’t mean anything). You know, when Brook's soft tissue heals, he'll be able to play."
Rajon Rondo's status for the game is unknown, but yesterday he was "83%" and a "nap time decision."
The Nets take on the Boston Celtics in Boston tonight at 7:30 PM EST. The game can be seen on the YES Network.
- Brook Lopez won't play Brooklyn Nets' opener against Boston Celtics - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Brook Lopez won't play for Nets in season opener against Celtics - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Brook Lopez out for Nets' season opener vs. Celtics - Rod Boone - Newsday
Nets' Brook Lopez out for tonight's season opener in Boston - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Brook Lopez ruled out for Nets opener - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Kelly Olynyk vs. Mason Plumlee key matchup in Celtics-Nets opener - Gary Washburn - Boston Globe