Adrian Wojnarowski tweets that the Nets and 76ers are discussing a trade that would send Marquis Teague to Philadelphia. Stefan Bondy reports that in addition to Teague, the 76ers will get a future second round pick, not further described.
Yahoo Sources: Brooklyn, Philadelphia discussing a minor trade. http://t.co/bSECci8gYG— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) October 23, 2014
"The Nets wouldn't receive anything of significance in return for Teague," reported Woj on Yahoo!, citing sources. NetsDaily can confirm the report. According to one source, the Nets will receive the right to swap second rounders with Philly in return. No cash is involved, said a second source. A trade for draft rights, a pick or a swap of picks would put the Nets roster at 15, the maximum. In theory, such a trade could open a spot for Jorge Gutierrez, who played for the Nets last season and is in training camp.
Tim Bontemps later tweeted the deal is close.
Hearing the Teague-to-Philly deal @WojYahooNBA reported is nearing completion. Would be a good move for the Nets – saves money & opens spot.— Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) October 23, 2014
As for the second rounder the Nets would send out, Brooklyn has several they can move, their own in 2015, 2016 (if not swapped with Clippers), 2018 and 2019 as well as the worse of the Milwaukee and Sacramento picks.
The Nets have been looking to trade Teague for a while, sources have told NetsDaily. The team has been hoping it can get something for the 21-year-old, who will make $1.12 million this season, but mainly wanted to free up roster space and reduce luxury taxes. Teague, a Kentucky product, has been showcased with big minutes this preseason. Results have varied. In Boston on Wednesday night, he had six turnovers in his first start, getting beaten badly by Marcus Smart on more than one occasion. On the other hand, he had played well in Shanghai against the Kings.
The Nets acquired him last season from the Bulls for Toko Shengelia, who Chicago later cut. He is currently playing in Spain.
- Sources: Sixers in talks to acquire Marquis Teague - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- Nets talking Marquis Teague trade - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- These two youngsters will be key players for Nets this season - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Brooklyn Nets in talks to trade Marquis Teague to Philadelphia 76ers - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets: On verge of trading Marquis Teague - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Nets, Sixers discussing Teague trade - Brian Erni - SNY Nets
- Report: Sixers in talks to acquire Marquis Teague from Nets - Seth Highkin - NBC Sports
- Brooklyn Nets in talks to trade Marquis Teague to Philadelphia 76ers - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Report: Sixers interested in Marquis Teague - Dei Lynam - Comcast Sports Net
Inside the Sixers: Sixers face decisions after final preseason loss - Keith Pompey - Philadelphia Inquirer