It hasn't exactly been the prettiest preseason for the Brooklyn Nets, but they've found ways to win and found themselves at 4-1 heading into their final preseason game against the Boston Celtics Wednesday night. With the season just one week away (back in Boston), Lionel Hollins decided to rest most of his top-arsenal guys like Deron Williams, Brook Lopez, Joe Johnson, Kevin Garnett, Andrei Kirilenko and Jarrett Jack.
The Nets ended their six-game preseason on a tough note, losing to the Boston Celtics, 100-86 in Beantown. Mason Plumlee led the team with 15 points, 11 rebounds, two steals and two blocks. Mirza Teletovic also regained his hot stroke, ending the game with 15 points and seven rebounds. Jorge Gutierrez left a good impression in his final preseason game as he scored 12 points, handed out five assists and stole the ball three times in 24 minutes of action.
For Boston, Marcus Smart led the way with 16 points and four rebounds in just 15 minutes of action, having his way with Marquis Teague. Jared Sullinger also had himself a fantastic night against the Nets, as he finished with 15 points, 17 rebounds, two steals and one blocked shot. Sergey Karasev played 43 minutes, by far the of any Net this preseason, but shot only 2-of-11, 1-of-5 from deep, and grabbed five boards to go with six points.
After the game, Lionel Hollins was asked what he can take from these last two preseason games, and as usual, he wasn't shy. "You can take a lot from this game [like] the guys I don't think can play." Cutdown day is Saturday.
The Nets and Celtics went back and forth throughout the first quarter in what looked to be an evenly matched contest. Well, that is very premature. The Nets hung right with the Celtics through the first, finishing the opening quarter tied at 25, with Mirza Teletovic displaying a confident stroke. Teletovic, whose shot a combined 4-23 in the last two preseason games, nailed his first two three pointers of the game, along with a pair of free throws. He had eight points in the first, and finished the half with 11.
Unfortunately for Brooklyn, the closely contested game came to a halt in the second quarter. The two teams were knotted up at 36 with 6:27 remaining, but the Celtics finished the half on a tear, compiling a 22-8 run to end the half. They outscored Brooklyn 33-19 in the quarter alone, and contained a 58-44 lead after 24 minutes of action.
Nothing changed in the second half. The Nets were extremely sloppy with the ball, resulting in 25 turnovers on the day. Along with their sloppy play, their offensive execution was abysmal. They finished the game shooting 27% from three, and 39% overall. They scored just 18 points in the fourth quarter alone, and their fate was inevitable earlier than usual.
It wasn't very pretty.
Still, this was an important game for the guys looking to make one final impression on Lionel Hollins and co. Sergey Karasev, whose minutes have been scarce most of the preseason, struggled to find his stroke. He finished the day with three points and four rebounds on 1-10 shooting. Cory Jefferson whose minutes have also been scarce, finished with 11 points and five rebounds on 4-12 shooting.
On a positive note, Mason Plumlee continued his hot play of late, filling out the box score with 15 points, 11 rebounds, two steals and two blocks. Mirza Teletovic also regained his hot stroke in this one, ending the game with 15 points and seven rebounds -- This being a refreshing sign for not only Teletovic, but Hollins and the rest of the coaching staff.
Final score: Celtics 100, Nets 86.
Final Preseason record: 4-2.
The Nets will start their 2014-2015 regular season campaign Wednesday, October 29th against the Boston Celtics. On Sunday, they will gather at Barclays Center for the annual Open Practice, which starts at 11:00 a.m.
For more on the Boston Celtics, check them out at CelticsBlog.
- Preseason Game Thread: Brooklyn Nets at Boston Celtics, 7:30 PM - NetsDaily
- Nets at Celtics - Boxscore - NBA.com
- Nets vs. Celtics (Video) - NBA.com
- Ratchet It Up (Video) - NBA.com
- Catch And Shoot (Video) - NBA.com
- Drop Off (Video) - NBA.com
Jorge Gutierrez 12 points 5 assists vs Celtics 22.10.2014 (Video) - Piotr Zarychta
- Nets: Fall to Celtics in preseason finale - AP
- Nets romped in preseason finale - Benny Nadeau - The Brooklyn Game
Can Mason Plumlee become a great rebounder? - The Brooklyn Game
- Health is top priority as Nets wrap up their preseason - Rod Boone - Newsday
- NBA: Nets have many reasons to be motivated - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- NBA: Paul Pierce knows departure from Nets was "all business" - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Jeff Van Gundy: Nets a playoff team — if healthy - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Joe Johnson: Despite lack of hype, the Nets can contend - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets close out preseason as planned - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Celtics get Smart performance in victory over Nets - Frank Dell-Apa - Boston Globe
- Celtics notebook: Team to pick up options on Olynyk, Sullinger and Zeller - Frank Dell'Apa - Boston Globe
- Three Things We Learned From the Celtics' 100-86 Win Over the Nets - Boston Globe
- Jared Sullinger growing into bigger role - Chris Forsberg - ESPN Boston
- Brad Stevens, Celtics Ready For ‘Gauntlet’ With Preseason Now Behind Them - Zach Cox - NESN
- Jared Sullinger's rebound rampage continues as Boston Celtics knock off depleted Brooklyn Nets to end NBA preseason - Celtics Blog