Normally, as a game ends, opposing coaches wave to each other as they and their teams leave the court. Not last night. Jason Kidd and Mark Jackson embraced each other at half court and exchanged a few words.
The two coaches, the last two NBA players to go directly from from playing to wearing a suit and tie (okay in Kidd's case, just a suit) have been close for years. When Kidd was the Nets point guard and Jackson the Nets analyst on YES, JKidd relied on MJax for advice. Wednesday night, Jackson showed his support for an old friend.
"I cannot speak about Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank, because I do not know it," Jackson said. "But everybody has to know who is in charge, and that’s the head coach. He’s the one calling the shots. I’ve never seen anyone of the Pips try to lead. That’s Gladys’ role. Let Gladys be Gladys."
Jackson also said that Kidd didn't need to be an assistant before becoming a head coach. He was a coach on the court his entire career. "The guy is a Hall of Fame basketball player, he’s an all-time great, and he’s going to be a heck of a basketball coach."
Kidd said Jackson was his "model". "I’ve talked to him throughout this season, and I’m happy for his success. He’s given us, guys who have retired from playing, an opportunity to do something, and that’s hopefully to become a coach like him."
- Nets notes: Mark Jackson supports Jason Kidd - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Nets’ Kidd Earns Win Against Warriors and Jackson, a Coach Who Inspired Him - Zach Schonbrun - New York Times
- Warriors coach Mark Jackson backs Jason Kidd in Lawrence Frank mess - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Mark Jackson compares Jason Kidd to ... Gladys Knight! (Yes, he did! He said he would!) - Kevin Manahan - Star-Ledger
- Golden State Warriors are surging, and Mark Jackson is in the driver's seat - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
- Jackson: Frank-ly, buck stops with Coach Kidd - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Mark Jackson backs up pal Jason Kidd in rookie coaching season - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Jackson staunchly defends Kidd on Frank - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
Warriors coach Mark Jackson once again goes to bat for Jason Kidd - Brett Pollakoff - NBC Sports