BROOKLYN - There are few teams, if any, hotter than the Brooklyn Nets. And they were facing an Orlando Magic team who came in with a 1-9 record in the 2014 calendar year. So, easy game, right? Well, yeah, in the end it was, with the Nets just taking off in the second half and blowing out the Magic, 101-90.
Deron Williams came off the bench again for the Nets, with Jason Kidd saying before the game that it was a day-by-day situation, where they would reevaluate him being reinserted into the starting lineup some other day. Williams checked in, just like on Monday's game against the Knicks, under the 6-minute mark of the first. The Nets had a slim 13-12 lead at the time. From there, the Nets built a 27-21 lead to end the first.
Andray Blatche remained hot off the bench, coming off was of his best games as a member of the Brooklyn Nets on Monday against the Knicks. He scored seven in the first quarter on 3-of-3 shooting.
The Blatche-Williams connection was really clicking on offense, though, again, the second unit struggled a bit on the defensive side of the ball. The Magic worked their way back, closing to within one point while the starters rested. Even then, though, when Kidd brought the starters back in the offense started to lag. The Nets shot just 40 percent from the floor in the quarter, scoring 19 points and carrying a 46-42 lead into the half.
In the third quarter, the Nets came out focused. They were moving the ball well, hitting open stretch threes and recovering on defense, making the Magic step out and get contested looks. Again, when the Nets are playing well, as they are now, it certainly shows in their third quarter performance, one which has been the thorn in the side of this team over long, forgetful stretches.
A Shaun Livingston dunk on the fast break midway through the third gave the Nets a 14-point lead, 62-48. And it only continued to grow, as Williams, Blatche and Kirilenko entered with fresh legs.
One thing you can say, with Williams coming off the bench, both units are really, really good offensively when on. And in the third, they also showed up defensively. They held the Magic to 3-of-21 shooting in the quarter and outscored them 27-14. They led 73-56 after three.
Blatche was, again, great in this one, doing damage in the fourth and helping to bury the Magic -- hitting a three at the 7-minute mark to give the Nets a 89-70 lead.
Game over from there, with the Nets beating the Magic 101-90 They move to 18-22 on the season, winning eight of their last nine games, and moving to within two games of the Atlantic Division lead.
Joe Johnson finished with 13 points, while Williams went for nine points and nine assists. Blatche had 18 points and five rebounds, and Mirza Teletovic finished with 14 points.
"I think we got that swag now," said Williams after the game. "That we can feel like we beat anybody when we step out there."
Next up for the Nets, Friday night at home against the Dallas Mavericks.
For more on the Magic, see: Orlando Pinstriped Post
- Magic at Nets - January 21, 2014 - Box score - NBA.com
- Game Thread: Brooklyn Nets vs. Orlando Magic, 7:30 PM - NetsDaily
- 2nd Half Game Thread: Nets vs. Magic - NetsDaily
- Magic vs. Nets: First half (Video) - NBA.com
- Get It Out (Video) - NBA.com
- Return to Sender (Video) - NBA.com
- Spinning and Scoring (Video) - NBA.com
- Theft and Throwdown (Video) - NBA.com
- Post Game Plus: Nets top Knicks, 103-80 (Video) - Bob Lorenz - YES Network
- Pierce on Nets getting help from the bench (Video) - YES Network
- Teletovic on the Nets' defense, team getting healthy (Video) - YES Network
- Kidd on Nets' defense, winning back-to-back games (Video) - YES Network
- HIGHLIGHT: Shaun Livingston's Double Clutch Jam (Video) - The Brooklyn Game
- HIGHLIGHT: Paul Pierce Dirty Crossover On Glen Davis (Video) - The Brooklyn Game
- HIGHLIGHT: Andray Blatche Posterizes Kyle O'Quinn With Monster Dunk - The Brooklyn Game
- VIDEO: Alan Anderson hustles for loose ball, gets rewarded by getting hit in the face, head with basketball - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets Loving The New Year (Video) - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Blatche Leads Nets to 8th Win in 9 Games - AP
- Blatche Puts on a Show as the Nets Keep Rolling - Andrew Keh - New York Times
- Kevin Garnett: The Old Man Still Has It - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
- Red-hot Nets maul Magic - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets finalize pair of trades - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets continue strong showing in 2014 with balanced attack against Magic - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets make trades official, but. ...Marquis Teague couldn't make it tonight and Edin Bavcic (Who?) never will - - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Rapid Reaction: Nets 101, Magic 90 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- We've seen this before in Brooklyn - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets continue hot streak with 101-90 win over Magic - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- Nets notes: Marquis Teague is coming to Brooklyn - Andy Vasquez - The Record
- No letdown for Nets in easy win over Magic - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Jason Kidd knows the Nets have to show consistency - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Call It PayBlatche: Nets 101, Magic 90 (GAME GRADES) - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- The Morning After: Nets Shut Down Magic - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Nets Sweep Back-to-Back Games For the First Time This Season - Lenn Robbins - Brooklyn Nets
- Denton: Magic vs. Nets Analysis (1/21/14) - John Denton - Orlando Magic
- Magic are routed by Brooklyn Nets 101-90 Tuesday night - Brian Schmitz - Orlando Sentinel
- Nik Vucevic says he is making progress since sustaining a concussion two weeks ago - Brian Schmitz - Orlando Sentinel