Peter Vecsey reports that the Nets are now focused on bringing Bojan Bogdanovic to Brooklyn next season, that after Kyle Korver turned them down, the 6'8" Croatian swingman, not an NBA veteran, is now the team's top priority.
Nets now focused on signing Bogandovic. Contrary to reports(wishful thinking?) BK never targeted Marco or Barnes— Peter Vecsey (@PeterVecsey1) July 4, 2013
The Nets drafted Bogdanovic, now 24, in 2011, trading a second round pick in 2014 and cash considerations (reportedly $1.5 million) to Minnesota for his rights. Over the past two years, the Nets have watched his development in Europe carefully. This past season, Bogdanovic led the Euroleague Top 16 in scoring and Index ratings, the European PER, shooting 50 percent from two, 40 percent from three and 85 percent from the stripe.
The big issue with Bogdanovic has always been his buyout from Fenerbahce, the Turkish powerhouse. He told NetsDaily in February that the buyout was 1.5 million euros or $2 million. Under the CBA, the Nets can only pick up $575,000 of that cost. He will have to foot the rest. Last week, his agent, Marc Cornstein told The Sporting News' Sean Deveney that the buyout is "manageable."
This week, things became a little more complicated when Fener signed Zeljko Obradovic, the European version of Phil Jackson. Fener might want to keep Bogdanovic under those circumstances. At the same time, Spanish websites reported that F.C. Barcelona, Europe's perennial power, has made Bogdanovic a top priority in 2014, when he becomes a free agent.
In response to a Nets fan's question, Vecsey also offered some possibilities for back-up PG.
@CoachJkidd Livingston, Ridnour (in trade), Aaron Brooks or Tinsley.— Peter Vecsey (@PeterVecsey1) July 4, 2013
Meanwhile, Marc Stein also reports that the Nets are looking at Shaun Livingston and adds John Lucas III to the mix.
Nets still chasing one more point guard. Rumblings in circulation have Shaun Livingston and John Lucas at top of Brooklyn's list— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 4, 2013
Mike Mazzeo later tweeted the Nets have "serious interest" in Livingston, who split last year with Washington and Cleveland.