After meeting with Billy King Monday, the candidacy of Jason Kidd "has emerged as formidable in possibility, league sources told Yahoo! Sports," reports Adrian Wojnarowski.
Kidd reportedly impressed the Nets with "his seriousness of committing the time and energy necessary to move into a head coaching job within weeks of his retirement."
Meanwhile, Fred Kerber reports that Kidd is "viewed as the leading candidate for the job and met with GM Billy King Monday to pitch his position ... It was a 'good meeting,' according to someone close to the situation."
The meeting was the first King has had with any candidate and will be followed Wednesday with a meeting between King and Brian Shaw, the Pacers associate head coach. Phil Jackson turned down the Nets and although George Karl, coach of the year, is available, the Nets won't talk to the former Denver coach.
Woj also reported that Kidd has been talking to Lawrence Frank about the transition.
"Kidd has been leaning on his former Nets coach, Lawrence Frank, for insight into the total responsibilities of the head coach," wrote Woj, "but Frank is nowhere near committing to the possibility of joining Kidd as his top assistant coach, league sources said." Kerber called Frank "the obvious choice for lead assistant."
The Nets are expected to make a decision within days reported Woj and Kerber, indicating that Kidd and Shaw are the finalists for the job vacated by P.J. Carlesimo.
- Sources: Jason Kidd emerges as strong head coaching candidate after meeting with Nets - Adrian Wojnarowski
- Kidd now leading candidate for Nets job after meeting with team: sources - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Favorite for coach job after ‘good meeting’ - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Reasons for Brooklyn Nets to hire Jason Kidd outweigh reasons not to - Mike Vaccaro - New York Post
- Jason Kidd emerges as strong candidate to coach Brooklyn Nets: - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Jason Kidd Meets With Nets About Coaching job - Howard Beck - New York Times
As a Coaching Candidate, Jason Kidd Is No Slam Dunk - Harvey Araton - New York Times
- Nets Talk With Jason Kidd - Alex Raskin - Wall Street Journal
- Jason Kidd as head coach is risky idea for both retired player and Nets - Steve Popper - The Record
- Jason Kidd has weighed in on the Nets’ head coaching job before - Seth Highkin - USA Today
- Bob Cousy on how Jason Kidd could transition from point guard to coach - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Jeff Van Gundy on Jason Kidd’s Coaching Potential: “There is no way to predict such a thing” - Josh Newman - SNY Nets
- Jason Kidd to coach the Nets? (Audio) - SNY Nets
Nets Kidding Themselves On Kidd’s Coaching Candidacy - Steve Lichtenstein - WFAN