Today was the start of the exit interviews for the Memphis Grizzlies and, arguably, the most prized free agent this summer, head coach Lionel Hollins.
There are plenty of teams interested in Hollins, who becomes a "free agent" on July 1, 2013. Until then, though, the Grizzlies aren't expected to let Hollins talk to other teams, according to Hollins himself.
I asked Lionel Hollins if he expected to be granted permission to speak to other teams. His response: "No."— Peter Edmiston (@peteredmiston) May 28, 2013
Hollins reiterated what he'd apparently told others earlier: Doesn't anticipate Griz giving permission for other teams to talk to him.— Chris Herrington (@FlyerGrizBlog) May 28, 2013
According to Harrington, Hollins said that he "hopes" to have a contract with the Grizzlies by the end of June, but then went on to say that if they don't have a deal, other teams will most certainly be in the mix.
The Grizzlies have to figure out what to do with Hollins, their most successful head coach in franchise history. The question will be, does the new management team open up their wallet and pay Hollins, who will most certainly get a major pay increase this summer, or do they opt for a more economical coach (assistant Dave Joerger is the desired heir) and let Hollins get a pay increase elsewhere -- say, Brooklyn?
But until we hear otherwise, the Nets might have to wait until July 1 to even get a chance to talk to Hollins.
- Grizzlies coach Hollins: 'I want to be back' - Ron Tillery - Memphis Commercial Appeal
- Nets may have to wait on Hollins - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets could be forced to wait on Grizzlies coach Hollins - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Lionel Hollins doesn't think Grizzlies will allow him to speak to other teams - Kevin Zimmerman - SB Nation
With Grizzlies done, all eyes turn to Lionel Hollins - Sean Deveney - Sporting News
- Brooklyn Nets to request Lionel Hollins Interview ASAP? - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game
- Report: Hollins is in high demand but do Grizzlies want him back? - Zach Harper - CBS Sports
- Will other teams be allowed to speak to Lionel Hollins? No per The Commercial Appeal - Clips Nation
- Report: Lionel Hollins Hopes to Remain with Grizzlies, Not Coaching Nets (Or Anyone Else) - SNY Nets