Before he left Moscow last week (and slipped into his all-black outfit Saturday), he spoke with Bloomberg News about the Nets prospects ... as they move toward his twin goals for 2015: a championship and a billion dollar valuation for his investment in the team and Barclays Center.
Prokhorov told Bloomberg the team needs "only two things" to reach the level of the defending-champion Miami Heat and Oklahoma City Thunder, who met in the NBA Finals last season.
"One more good player, and we need time to make a really strong team," Prokhorov said. He pointedly did not dismiss the team's chances this season, noting ""every team have a chance ... If we have a great team spirit, great passion, we can beat anyone in the league," he said. "We are not underdogs, that’s for sure."
Of course, as beat writers point out, that is easier said than done.
- Nets’ Owner Says Another Top Player Needed to Reach Elite Status - Bloomberg Business Week
- Nets' Owner Says Team Needs Another Top Player (Video) - Ryan Chilicote - Bloomberg Business Week
- Billionaire Brooklyn Nets Owner's Player Plan (Video) - Ryan Chilicote - Bloomberg Business Week
- Prokhorov says Nets need another star, but it won't be easy getting one - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Prokhorov: We need one more good player - Mike Mazzeo - New York Post
- Mikhail Prokhorov says Nets are a player away from being elite - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Prokhorov says Nets need final piece, Carlesimo agrees (sort of), DWill goes to bat for J Johnson - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets' owner Prokhorov: team "one good player" away - Devin Kharpertian - The Brooklyn Game