The Brooklyn Nets entered Friday's game against the Indiana Pacers with an attainable goal and one small, albeit possible, chance to catch the Pacers for the 3rd seed in the East. As long as, you know, the Nets win out and the Pacers lose their final three games, that would put Brooklyn in the 3rd seed in the Eastern Conference. It's certainly not impossible, but, maybe the more achievable, and as I noted attainable, goal would be to hit the 50-win mark in their first season in Brooklyn.
And after the Nets dropped the Pacers, 117-109, the march to 50 remains within reach. It was, once again, all about the Big Three, who in the first half alone combined for 52 of the team's 69 first half points -- which was a season high for most points scored in a half.
The Nets were without Gerald Wallace (heel) yet again, but got plenty from Brook Lopez who once again got off to a hot start, scoring 14 points in the first quarter. The Nets shot 71 percent from the floor in the first quarter.
Deron Williams continued his hot shooting, finishing the game with 33 and 14. His superstar mode was most certainly on, yet again, as he went for 25 points and 8 assists in the first half alone. Also of note, Joe Johnson looks healthy (24 points in 39 minutes), which is great news.
D-Will did get banged up a bit in this one, hurting his left knee. Hopefully there won't be any lingering pain.
Reggie Evans got tossed midway through the third quarter after picking up his second technical foul of the game.
The Nets third quarter was ugly. What was once a 22-point lead was trimmed down to four points. Once again, the Nets show their third-quarter struggles.
Indiana actually pulled ahead by two points with five minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. The Nets, however, were able to hang on and escape with a victory over the Pacers, thanks to a late surge.
They keep the hope of grabbing the third seed in the East alive, as well as the hope of winning 50 games in their first season in Brooklyn.
For more on the Pacers, see: Indy Cornrows
- Nets at Pacers - April 12, 2013 - Box score - NBA.com
- Williams to Lopez (Video) - NBA.com
- Slammin' It Home (Video) - NBA.com
- Hoop and Harm (Video) - NBA.com
- Carlesimo on Friday night's game against the Pacers (Video) - YES Network
- Nets Beat Pacers as Deron Williams Scores 33 - Zach Schonbrun - New York Times
- Keeping Score: Changing Coaches Changed Nets Late in Games - Justin Kubatko - New York Times
- Nets outlast Pacers to clinch home court in 1st round - Nets outlast Pacers to clinch home court in 1st round - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Deron Williams, Brooklyn Nets survive physical matchup with Indiana Pacers to clinch No. 4 seed - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Deron Williams drives Nets to victory with 33 points, 14 assists - Rod Boone - Newsday
- Rapid Reaction: Nets 117, Pacers 109 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Playoff hopes hinge on D-Will - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Pacers notebook: Vogel has more technicals (9) than any other coach this season - Mike Wells - Indianapolis Star
- Pacers Insider: Loss to Nets is costly for struggling team - Mike Wells - Indianapolis Star
- Brooklyn Nets vs. Indiana Pacers Recap: A Huge Problem Come Playoff Time - From Russia With Dunk
- Brooklyn Nets tickets - TiqIQ
- First half game thread - NetsDaily
- Second half game thread - NetsDaily